free website stats program removing baffles | Harley Davidson Forums

removing baffles

easyglide

Hey anyone have any suggestions or comments on this, I am planning on removing the baffles on my stock pipes 2004 ultra classic, and installing torque cones in the pipes. Still not sure how to remove the baffles, can't find a retaining bolt so I am contemplating cutting them out any suggestions?
Have been told other than a better sound I should get an increase in torque/horsepower.
Keep the greasy side down.

Each muffler type can be a little bit different, but I doubt you will have to cut them out. They had to go in there somehow, and if you look hard enough there should be a way to take them out without damaging the pipes. I have Python pipes & mufflers and removed mine and it really sounds a lot better, yet it doesn't "crackle", pop, or carry on.

I agree with Hobbit on the performance and sound. Too many well enginerred solutions out there unless you just have the time and tools. If you are going to go down the road, the fastest way is to just punch them out with a rebar or wrecking bar driven through the pipe, Lots of "be carefuls" as you can bend a flange or tab here or ther and then you are out in the cold anyway. If I recall the 04 had tapered tips on the stock pipes. so you may need to cut them out to get to the brigdes holding the baffel. Then like Hobbit said, you can usually use a hole saw to cut them and yank them out.

Hey anyone have any suggestions or comments on this, I am planning on removing the baffles on my stock pipes 2004 ultra classic, and installing torque cones in the pipes. Still not sure how to remove the baffles, can't find a retaining bolt so I am contemplating cutting them out any suggestions?
Have been told other than a better sound I should get an increase in torque/horsepower.
Keep the greasy side down.

I agree with Hobbit too. Other than being JUST louder, they sound terrible. Seen this a few times and it just doesn't work. Find a set of slipons and go that route.

As far as the HP and TQ increase..... not happening, you will LOOSE TQ and HP. It will not run as good as it did with the baffles in there. Whoever told you that should go back to school.
There's a certain amount of backpressure needed to run properly and while it may feel that there's an improvement cutting the baffles out, the real numbers will be lower. Other than ruining a good set of slipons, you will not accomplish what you think doing this.

I also went with a set from eBay. Cost me 80. plus 20 shipping. I am very satisfied and have had compliments on the sound. H/P and T/Q are improved and I still have my original mufflers. My buddy has a set of Rush on his 07 Ultra and I think they sound like crap. Took a $25000 bike and put $400 slipons on it and I have heard better sounding John Deere tractors. My opinion.

I also went with a set from eBay. Cost me 80. plus 20 shipping. I am very satisfied and have had compliments on the sound. H/P and T/Q are improved and I still have my original mufflers. My buddy has a set of Rush on his 07 Ultra and I think they sound like crap. Took a $25000 bike and put $400 slipons on it and I have heard better sounding John Deere tractors. My opinion.[/QUOTE

My old shovel use to sound like old John Deere Tractor when idling
Gee do I miss that sound

Back