free website stats program Removed the Cat | Harley Davidson Forums

Removed the Cat

bassin93

Like the title says, i removed the cat from my head pipe today. It was acutally pretty easy. I cut the pipe with a zip wheel, drilled several holes in the converter, ran a screwdriver around the out side edges to losen it from the pipe and pulled it out with vice grips. Did this on both sides, then used my die grinder with a sanding wheel and cleaned up the rest of what was stuck to the inside of the chamber that the cat was in and then welded it back together.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed how much smoother the bike runs after they got rid of it, I only got to ride it about 2 miles but wow, way smoother. i didn't get to take it out of town so don't really know if I got a power increase but even if I don't, the smoother and cooler running engine is worth it. Jeff

Probably would have been better NOT to modify the OEM header pipe and replace with earlier year header pipe or aftermarket one in case federal/state/local EPA sound or smog regulations mandate inspections. You could find your bike with a fixit ticket at best or impounded at worse...especially with such a new bike. Look here on a way to do it "right", cause now that 2010 pipe is useless if you need to put the "cats" back on...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/harley_davidson_exhaust_related_issues/9763-cat_converters.html

bassin, I did the same to mine big difference you love it. The heat is gone on the right side, sounds better too I bought another set of headpipes to do mine with but doesn't matter how you do it it is better.

Last edited:
I, too removed my cat this weekend. I purchased a used 2009 front pipe, bought 2 bungs to fill the o2 sensor holes and installed a tfi to manage fuel without o2 sensors. It runs way smoother, way cooler, ( my wife stopped complaining about heat on her right foot) and it is even somewhat louder- nice deep sound. (stock mufflers). sorry, I am riding a 2010 roadking.

FYI.. the material used to achieve a catalytic converter (some platinum I beleave) is worth money,dont discard it.We get anywhere from $50 to $150 from scrap guys for any automotive cat at our shop.

FYI.. the material used to achieve a catalytic converter (some platinum I beleave) is worth money,dont discard it.We get anywhere from $50 to $150 from scrap guys for any automotive cat at our shop.
I am keeping my original in case laws get tighter or any warranty issue on the bike. thats why I bought a used pipe on ebay

Hey! Does anyone know if 2009 Tri-Glide has a converter in its head pipe?
from what I read researching my project, only California models in 09 had cats and they were in the front of the mufflers. 2010 is first year for cats in headpipes

Last edited by a moderator:
from what I read researching my project, only California models in 09 had cats and they were in the front of the mufflers. 2010 is first year for cats in headpipes

2009 CVO's had cats in the headpipes along with the California bikes

They moved the CATs to the headpipe cause in 2009 most guys were changing the exhaust mufflers along with the cats just forward of them. In 2010 they moved the CATS into the headpipe like the CVO & California models as SE103 stated to eliminate "tampering" EPA, government and MOCO had found. . So now the "hot" ticket is to fit the 2009 49 state version headpipe and keep your 2010 California, CVO 2009 ones for that "rainy day", when mandated inspections come around...!

i have a stock set of headpies for a 2010 if anyone needs some back ups. with the 120 hp i got they are useless to me

Back