removed heel shifter

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by weldbead, Apr 13, 2015.

1. weldbead

weldbead Member

i removed my heel shifter because i find it extremely awkward to use and will never use it..in a worst case scenario it could cause a problem if accidentally bumped, so its gone. i moved the toe shifter out i guess 3/4" or so to the outer position which feels better. Is there a spacer made by HD or someone else to fill the void?there is a black spacer i quess 1/4" thick thats been there, and an o -ring inbord of that which i aint sure why its there.

2. Dan.1977P

Dan.1977P Active Member

You can go to any hardware store and probably find what you need. I'm pretty sure that o ring is there to help keep the elements out of the transmission so I'd make sure it's in there and snug until you find the spacers you want.
    Though I don't use the heel shifter, it acts as a really nice heel stop when I'm running 80+ down the interstate and takes some of the work out of keeping your foot down for hours at a time.

3. atm33

atm33 Active Member

I used the Kuryakyn 1045 spacer. Works fine. There are several others on the market as well. The Kuryakyn runs $24 on Amazon. A bit expensive for a simple spacer, but does the trick. I've read you have to be careful just using a diy spacer but I can't remember why-- maybe just a marketing ploy... Check it out on Amazon and you can read the reviews. Attached is a picture of it installed.

Attached Files:

4. stray dog

stray dog Junior Member

I really liked the heel shifter but like the extra space on the floor board for my foot to move around more.
    I bought mine used like this. The black spacer is soft like rubber, its kinda worn making it a bit sloppy. I think a black plastic nylon or delrin spacer would work good. If steel I would put a plastic washer between it and the aluminum primary.

spacer (600x800).jpg

5. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

I guess everyone has their own comfort zone but I wouldn't be without my heel toe setup.

6. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

7. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

I too removed my heel shifter long ago. Never use it, love the space. Kept my shifter to the inside for the added space and cut off a spark plug boot just the right size to slide on the exposed shaft. No money spent, no Kury-thingy.

I also moved my floorboards forward 1.5" to allow some leg room.

8. weldbead

weldbead Member

was your first bike a heel shifter?i grew up on a '71 triumph with a toe shifter. now the heel shifter seems like id probly get killing learning to use it..stickin with what works..walters is a neat company..i've been thinkin of modifying my brake pedal to be lower so when im on the floorboard i dont have to raise up to cover, just slide over left..the ones from walters seem to move forward and down but not as far down as i want..i can cut and weld, but might paint it cause i cant chrome..

9. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

First bike was a Cushman Delux, hand shift. All the rest that I owned have been toe shift until I bought my '94 FLSTC. I've been heel shifting ever since. I agree about Walters and if you can cut and weld there has to be a plating company somewhere near you that will rechrome the pedal.

10. weldbead

weldbead Member

just wanna be sure im doin it right ..to heel shift do you rest yer toe on the floorboard or does yer leg go upnd down?just feels strange ..
    i have already located a few local platers, gonna start a sketch this mornin as we are gettin more raintoday..