free website stats program Removal of protective film on Fat Boy rear fender | Harley Davidson Forums

Removal of protective film on Fat Boy rear fender

Shelby6t7

I'm looking to go with a solo seat on my 2002 Fat Boy. I pulled the stock seat, and pillion, and I noticed that H-D put a thick protective plastic film on top of the rear fender to prevent the pillion from scratching the paint. Does anyone have experience in removing this film? Should I use a heat gun, decal remover, etc?

Thanks

No heatgun, a heatgun is to hot and may damage paint. Use a hair dryer. then you can use a rag with some paint thinner or Goofoff to remove glue risidue and then clean and wax. That's the procedure I would use anyway. Some one else may have a better plan. good luck.

Thanks David for your suggestion..........just curious, won't paint thinner eat through the clear coat and possibly the paint??

I've been using to clean Tar and clue risdue for many years and haven't ruined anything yet. Just make sure it's thiner and not remover. Or you don't want to use the thinner then try the goofoff. you could also try Avon skin-so soft or some W-D 40.

Goo Gone may be a more forgiving cleaner than Goof Off. Lighter fluid also, I always start with those 2 first, if they work great, if not, I move on up until I get to the Goof Off stage. Do not get the Goof Off on anything plastic, especially if you want to see through it again.....(someone else's mistake I learned from).

Are you sure this is not just the plastic protection sheet ?? This just peels off and is a low tack leaving no residue. I peel mine off when going solo and put it back on when two seat goes on to protect the fender.

Monkey:

Yes, we are probably talking about the same thing. I was unaware of it's low tack and that it was even reusable? Since I see you have an '02 Fat Boy as well, I believe my question has been answered.

Thanks

Yes matey, it just peels off leaving no mess of any kind apart from a slight ghost image of the edges. Bit of spit on yer hankey will move that.

For future refferance, we use a rubber wheel on a low rpm drill to remove all glue,2 sided tape from cars and bikes at the body shop.The item can be obtained from any local autobody supply store for about $30 and will work with a cordless drill.It will not damage your paint.We call it the eraiser.

Back