free website stats program Regulator Replacement Opinion | Harley Davidson Forums

Regulator Replacement Opinion

propflux01

I have a 2003 ultra with 40,000 miles on it, of which I have put on the last 4000. I plan on taking a trip cross country in late July. My question is this, since I do not know the maintenance history of the stator and regulator, short of just replacing all of them for the fun of it, For lots of $$, and knowing that the cycle shack regulators are FET design which is easier on the stators than the shunt type currently installed, would it behoove me to replace the regulator with the cycle shack to sort of help prevent an issue of failure on this trip? I have gotten intimate with many stator changes in the past on other bikes, and that is one thing I really don't want to be worrying about on this trip. Also, how long does the average rotor last on these bikes? I have heard of the magnet glue failing and am wondering if that's an issue? I don't want to needlessly change parts, but also want to do this on the cheap as well, if I have to.. Any opinions on this? Should I just leave everything be? The bike has no hints of electrical issues, but just want to avoid a breakdown.

I have a 2003 ultra with 40,000 miles on it, of which I have put on the last 4000. I plan on taking a trip cross country in late July. My question is this, since I do not know the maintenance history of the stator and regulator, short of just replacing all of them for the fun of it, For lots of $$, and knowing that the cycle shack regulators are FET design which is easier on the stators than the shunt type currently installed, would it behoove me to replace the regulator with the cycle shack to sort of help prevent an issue of failure on this trip? I have gotten intimate with many stator changes in the past on other bikes, and that is one thing I really don't want to be worrying about on this trip. Also, how long does the average rotor last on these bikes? I have heard of the magnet glue failing and am wondering if that's an issue? I don't want to needlessly change parts, but also want to do this on the cheap as well, if I have to.. Any opinions on this? Should I just leave everything be? The bike has no hints of electrical issues, but just want to avoid a breakdown.

I would NOT do it just to do it. Do the following to see if you have ANY indication of a problem:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

Also perform the "sniff test" on the Primary fluid. Any burnt smell should be investigated.

Then get yourself a Battery Tender Jr. and keep the battery fully charged whenever you can plug it in. I plug mine in every day when I get home.

TQ

Hoople:
I'm not sure if they do or not. I just know the type of regulators they provide are not Shunt-to-ground type.

TQuentin1:
I have done the sniff test periodically ever since I acquired the bike. I have been through the system on a few evenings this last winter, as like i said, I have had some very intimate times with stators on other bikes. The bike never usually sits very long between rides, and i have just replaced the battery back in February.

Hoople:
I'm not sure if they do or not. I just know the type of regulators they provide are not Shunt-to-ground type.

TQuentin1:
I have done the sniff test periodically ever since I acquired the bike. I have been through the system on a few evenings this last winter, as like i said, I have had some very intimate times with stators on other bikes. The bike never usually sits very long between rides, and i have just replaced the battery back in February.

Sounds like you have answered your own question!:s

Hoople:

I have seen some mis-information about shunt regulators right out of the HD service manuals. My service manual states my regulator is shunt and it's not. I don't know if the single phase units were shunt but I am fairly certain all 3 phase are Series regulation, starting with 3 phase in 2006. At least my 2009 is Series regulation. Having shunt regulation on 3 phase would really be nasty to deal with. Especially on a bike that happen to have very little electrical load.(no stereo radio, not many lights, etc etc)

I think some service manual information are simply "cut & paste" from previous editions and because of that a type-o will surface every now and then.

I know most metrics of even a few years back were three phase shunt-style regulators. My 83 Suzuki was like that until I retrofitted an FET style on it. I wasn't aware that HD had gone to three phase type stators in their bikes, I thought they still used the single phase type like the one I replaced on the wifes 2005 883.

Back