free website stats program Regulator plug trouble | Harley Davidson Forums

Regulator plug trouble

Clint

Thanks to the self help section I found my problem.

Now I need some help with just what to do about it.

Here's some pics, any suggestions would be greatly aprecciated!

regplug1

You can't see it very well but I'm afraid this side of the plug is shot as well. I'm afraid this one is going to be more then I can handle!:(
regplug2

Looks like it had a bad connection and heated up and melted. Time for some new parts to do it right.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinkin' too.

I can do the regulator but what about the connector in the case?
What's that going to involve?

Even if you can find a plug for it, the stator is going to have to come out to get at it. And once you go that far, might just as well change the whole thing.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinkin' too.

I can do the regulator but what about the connector in the case?
What's that going to involve?

It is best to replace both the stator and voltage regulator at the same time. Although there is no scientific reason for it, when one goes, the other is not far behind it. Like Glider, I have never heard of anyone just replacing the plugs. There has to be a reason this happened.

TQ

Usually the high current pass element (in the regulator) shorts out; which draws more current, overheats the stator coil enough to break down the enamel insulation, which grounds out and local "flame on" occurs...if you really want to know the root cause. Yes, replace the regulator because it was the original problem, replace the stator because of the "collateral" damage.:(

I appreciate every ones input!

Looks like I'll need to do some research on cost and availability.

What is involved in replacing the stator? I can see that a service manual is a necessity, but I'm without one at this time.

I'll need a new battery, regulator and stator, that's about $300 (give or take depending on where I get them) in parts. Shop time I'm guessing (don't know about the stator replacement) about 2 hrs?

I'm just trying to put this into perspective since I'm going to have to sell a gun or some knives to fund this. (times are tough with the wife out of work!) :small3d023:

Back