free website stats program Regulator Issues | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Regulator Issues

I used grade 5 bolts, there are no nuts necessary, they screw into the existing threads. I drilled the heads myself because the threads are 1/4 28 (course thread) and I couldn't find any bolts pre-drilled that size. The safety wire is a .032 standard aircraft thing. To check for clearance I assembled it temporarily after painting the bolt heads, rotated and checked for paint transfer. I have about 3000 miles on it since the fix with no problem.

I agree the factory could have prevented the issue doing it this way but they wouldn't because it takes more than 30 seconds to do the safety wire.

Piedmont

Last edited:
¼-20 is the corse thread and ¼-28 is the quarter inch fine thread. Not trying to be smart here, just saying

Hi Wobelsocket!

I am a swedish firefighter and i am in desperate need of help, i am going to kill my self or i kill the bike!! So if you could help me i would be very thankful. I have read the thread (regulator Issues) about your bike but i did not find if you fixed the problem?? I have searched the internet about this problem that the bike is "eating and frying regulators" and you are the only one with the exact same problem and bike model and thats weird. It is a street bob 2007, and it started 2013 when the first regulator fried. This is the 3rd new regulator that breaks/fries, i have changed stator/rotor/battery and checked all lose wires and done exactly as you did. Yesterday a put the new regulator on and then when i started the bike the speedo light started to flicker, no voltage dropp on the VOM. I tighten and sprayed the connectors and the problem disappeared. FINALLY i thought, now i can rest and ride the damn bike.
I got home after the ride and put it in the garage when the headlight and the speedo light started to flicker/dim at low idle.(EDIT)

I hope you are still a member on this site and get this message because you are my only hope left please help me.

Best regards

Jorgen Soderman

SWEDEN

Last edited by a moderator:
Jorgen, he hasn't been on the site since 2012 so I doubt he will see your posting. I suggest sending him a Personal Message (PM) and try for a reply that way.

Good luck, and if you do find a solution, please post so we will all benefit.

Back