free website stats program Regulator Issues | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Regulator Issues

Another shot in the dark here... I also have an '06 which came apart too. I put it back with bolts drilled for stainless safety wire and have had no problems. The clearance between the magnet cup and stator is pretty tight, depending on how it was repaired it would be possible to damage the new stator, which might cause your problem. No fun to go back into the stator, but if all else fails...

I havent had a chance to check voltage drop like RWB was explaining how to do. But if I have time, I might try it tomorrow. Ive tested the stator and Im getting 30 vac on all three pins and it doesnt ohm out to ground. Ive checked all I know to check. I've even pulled the fuse box out and checked connections behind it. I hate to put another VR on it and take a chance of blowing it too. Its hard to believe that I got two bad voltage regulators in a row. It makes since that there is something causing this????? Wouldnt you know.... I would have an issue nobody else has had.

Unless there is more to this story,

Its hard to believe that I got two bad voltage regulators in a row.

I am amazed also because this is the 1st time you mentioned that you replaced 2 regulators Back to Back in a row. Were they Both Accel? How much running time in between? I take it that the imploded rotor was the original, but then again it can't be because then the VR count would be only 2 and not 4.

Information like that is vital & without knowing all the details or time line of events that has taken place, it's impossible to be of any help.

Do you have any corrosion in the fuse holder (or any other connections related to the VR ciruit) ? This could cause a voltage drop. The regulator may be sensing a need for charge beyond what is necessary. If so clean them up. If they are in an exposed area, after reconnecting them put a dab of dielectric over them.

Also just a long shot, I haven't looked at your schematic but if your VR grounds to the frame (bolt), . . . you don't have any new powder coating done in that area do you ? And if you VR is grounded by wire see if you can check the ground voltage drop to that wire AT THE REGULATOR CONNECTION to the neg terminal on the battery. Look at your schematic to make sure you have the ground wire before you test it to the neg battery terminal. The operating voltage loss should be very close to zero or your VR has a poor ground.

I just checked my schematic and the VR has a dedicated grd wire going back to the rear fender ground terminal. If that is your case you might want to check your fender terminals for dirt or corrosion. Heck for that matter I would check the VR connector connection itself, they sometimes get dirt all in them from some road conditions. Also look along the underside of the frame for damage to that cable. But again a negitve voltage drop test will reveal any problems in that area. Just be sure to follow the pin number on your schematic to have the correct pin to test to at the regulator connector. On mine both pos and neg terminals hook to a separate 'black' wire so you have to have the correct schematic pin (or do a continuity test first to get the right one) (hope you don't have an HD oil cooler or it's hard to get in the VR connector caddy).

Only problem on the drop test though, that's (on mine) a 2 place deutsch connector. You'd have to have some spare pins, a crimiper and wire to jump the connector and still hook the voltmeter in parallel with it.

In your scenario an ohm test of that would be academic since it's not going to show any bad connection sensitivity like an volt drop would.

Just check those ground connections (I would unscrew them, clean um and reassemble).

Thanks RWB, I diddnt know about the groud on the rear fender. I'll check it out.

There is probably two of them side by side. I clean mine just like the battery stuff, take um loose and wire brush um, then tighten um up snug. And don't forget to pull our fuses out for said circuits and and check for corrosion.

Hey piedmont, using safety wire on the rotor bolts sounds like it should have been a factory do to start with. What grade bolts did you use and is there plenty of clearance for the castle nuts? Did you use self locking castle nuts as well as safety wiring them? Were the bolts pre-drilled or did you have to drill them? Where did you get the nuts and bolts? In the wind.

Pops

Back