free website stats program regulator burnout | Harley Davidson Forums

regulator burnout

gunnut

Can anyone tell me why a regulator burns out please???some tips on prevention would also be great,cause mine has done just that after only 22,000 miles.Admittedly my glide is 12 years old,but it is,as you see,exceptionally low milage for the year(96) and I've put most of the miles on it in the four years I've been the proud owner.Thank you.

I would guess Very high on the hit list would be making a contest out of how long you can get a battery to last. I have seen people bragging (not here @ HD talking) that they got 6 years out of a battery. Like they are saving money somehow.

Next on the list would be having a voltage drop on the output lead from the regulator to the battery positive terminal... Or a voltage drop from the return line from the voltage regulator to the negative post of the battery. That will almost promise you a trip to the HD parts department.

The regulator is working the hardest when of all things your battery is fully charged, fewest accessories are running and highway speeds. Why? because your stator/alternator system would provide up to 20V and the regulator has to drop that extra 6V or so as heat...that is why it is up front in the airflow, and yes heat dissipation of the pass elements inside increases the possiblility of failure.

Best bet is to keep a good battery, and make sure the air flow to the regulator is good:s

dont jump start the bike if the batt is dead. I learned the hard way and had to relace the voltage regulator.

Hmmm Ive gotten caught in the rain here a few weeks ago several days in a row ( gotta love these afternoon pop ups in E Tenn. And then I had a problem.... My battery seemed to be to weak to start my sled. 2000 FXDWG. So I go and get a new battery, well it lasts me a week. Was thinking it was just a bad battery, it happens. So I go and get a replacement. Works fine for a few days. Had to jump it off this afternoon. Had no choice in the matter no hills and no parts store. I am just dumfounded at the moment. I dont know if this has been discussed allready and I m sorry if Im beating a dead horse. Any insight would greatly be appreciated since it is my only set of wheels.

Take a close look at the connector(s) directly at the voltage regulator. You may get lucky. One of the pins may be relaxed and not making good contact. Disconnect the battery 1st since one of the wires at that plug will be hot with key off.

After you check, clean, tighten those connections, place a meter across the battery and check the voltage at idle, & 2500 RPM. If no output, I would start a new thread under electrical.

Take a close look at the connector(s) directly at the voltage regulator. You may get lucky. One of the pins may be relaxed and not making good contact. Disconnect the battery 1st since one of the wires at that plug will be hot with key off.

After you check, clean, tighten those connections, place a meter across the battery and check the voltage at idle, & 2500 RPM. If no output, I would start a new thread under electrical.

Had that happen to me before looked at everything else but the obvious, talk about feeling like an (EDIT) when it was pointed out to me.:lolrolling

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:

Hoop brought up a very good point. Early model Harleys had a regulator plug that had a nasty habit of coming loose and letting corrosion run it's course. There is a mod to hold down the connector with a metal tab...can't remember what years, but nothing worse than having a failure in the pouring rain in the middle of nowhere. I believe it was 1990's year span...JP Cycles sells the mod kit. I would also clean and fill the connector with dielectric grease to keep water and corrosion out. :newsmile04:

Back