free website stats program Regular unleaded and higher MPG? | Harley Davidson Forums

Regular unleaded and higher MPG?

shultzjr

hi all,

I was wondering if it is possible to take an XL883L and modify it slightly so it runs on regular unleaded and still gets 60+ MPG's? It seems that a lot of bikes are starting to need premium and some places on this continent do not have anything but regular. So this could be a problem. Given that the two goals are or maybe not achievable at the same time, I would pick the ability to run regular and give up on the mpg. So what would it take, lower compression, change in ignition and/or any other mods?

thanks,
charles.....

Lower compression and retarding the timing would be the beginning, not something you would be happy with as far as results in the loss of power just to run on regular.

thanks for the response. I'm not one of those people who is always chasing horsepower and I do realise that the bike would probably not run as fast as stock but I don't envy the idea of carrying around a can of octane booster every time I fill up the tank.

later.....

Back