Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by SLOWMAN, Dec 14, 2009.
If you change your oil every 1000 mi why do you need synthetic oil at all?
IMO this is a bit overkill. Some of us would be changing every couple of weeks. Could get quite costly.
There is absolutley no reason to change your oil every thousand miles, if you are just looking to spend money, I could give you my address and you could just send it to me, you are wasting money.
I guess you wouldn't.
I think most would not think oil changes every 1k are cost effective. Last time I checked Mobile 1 is not 5x the cost of a quart of 20W50 dino oil. Add to that the cost of a filter each time. You could save labor costs and change the fluid yourself, but if you have the extra cash for changing every 1000 miles, it is probably no big deal to pay someone to do it.
One thing that is known is that true synthetics have better lubrication at higher temps. Dino oil does not. Syn3 breaks down at about 250F. Mobile 1 is good till about 300F. While it is probably not that big of a deal in winter, if you live where it gets hot in the summer and like to ride, the wider temp range of synthetic is a nice safety margin.
If you haven't read the self help section, check it out. It is long and it will take a while, but just about everything is there. Really. Sometimes it is not always clear, but most of the time it is all there.
Many opinions on this board about maintenance and when, what and how often, what is necessary and what isn't. People differ on how many miles to change their oil, but so far I think 99% agree that true synthetics are hands down, better than dead dinos.
The only time I can imagine that I would change my oil (and all the fluids for that matter) would be if I only put 1000 miles on my ride and I was then storing it for a long winter. Short, relatively low temperature trips (engine operating temp) put H20 into the oil from the atmosphere and it can't boil off. Then corrosion can start.
I ride all year long, as long as the road is ice free. That would be 14-17 oil changes a year for me. HD= Hundred Dollars, but that is too rich for me. I'll keep the oil in longer and buy new tires so I can keep rolling along....
For me, I use Mobile 1. I change every 3333 miles in the summer, when it is really hot and every 4-5k in the winter. My numbers make it easy for me to remember.
To directly answer your question, I would say no. Years Years back, I had a '73 Type 1 VW Beetle that I did just that. Changed the oil every 1500 miles. The engine did not even have an oil filter. The oil WAS the filter. I Never split the crankcase. Installed several sets of pistons and jugs in it but the Crank, Cam, Rods, and all internal bearings went to 345K until I sold the car.
Air cooled and I beat it to death.
I am not disagreeing but if he does not change the filter every time, it really does not cost all that much. 3 quarts of Good Dino oil is not much over 5 bucks. $5-$10 a month is not a lot of money when you look at the entire cost of owning an HD...
Come on. Do you REALLY believe that Smitty?
I have READ that in articles also. But I don't believe that slightly used oil is better than new.
Oh, now that makes 100% sense. You absolutely can over do it when changing oil too frequently. Especially in gearboxes that have no combustion blow-by.
I was debating if slightly used oil has better lube properties than new. It is funny because a very good wrench friend of mine told me the same thing a short time back. He told me that fresh oil has to "break in". I told him if oil needs to break in, the oil companies would be selling "slightly used oil" at a premium price.
We beat this oil thing up pretty bad dont we I remember an old wrench told me clean oil makes a seal in an engine everyone has an opinion on oil and thats good debate causes more information for all Knowledge is power
And most hydraulic oils are high detergent types so they can go longer and do there job better and as Smitty said about filtering it before, if I read that correctly that would be a big plus
Smitty, that is really good info I did not know. There are just so many variables in the topic of oil. I got one for you too. I had another friend (has since passed away) but he FIRMLY believed that you never had to change your oil.
100% true. He owned this Oldsmobile 98 and all he ever did was change the oil filter every 3000 miles and add 1 quart of oil. He never drained his oil. Honest to goodness. Changed the filter and added a quart and his Olds 98 had less problems than my Pontiac Grand Prix. It was amazing. Everyone told him "Ray, your crazy" but who knows maybe he was right... He certainly did not dump or waste a lot of money like I did... babying my engine.
I got to get that bumper sticker that says
"I spent 90% of my money on women and booze. The other 10% I wasted"
Separate names with a comma.