free website stats program Registering my Imported HD in Japan | Harley Davidson Forums

Registering my Imported HD in Japan

Dave Kincaid

I'm in need of some information...and not sure I can find help here. I recently re-located to Nagoya, Japan in October of 2010. Shipped my 2001 Bagger here to ride the country side. made it through Customs and the shipping with no trouble, but trying to register it here has become a nightmare. They have been asking me for Emissions reports (Of which I have none) and now something about the brake system...Not sure exactly what they are asking...I have to get an interperter to help me, and will probably post that later. But does anyone know how I could get emission specs through HD? Maybe just a page of estimated emissions would do the trick. Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
You might have to take the bike to a shop and have the emissions checked, and the brakes checked and bring them a report/reciept from it. I dont know that for a fact though!

Hi Dave
I take it that you are US American, and your scoot is the same?

You could try contacting some European dealers - Euro countires have had emissions regulations for a number of years, where the CO2 emissions form part of the type approval (at least for cars).
As suggested, it is possible to get the emissions measured, and maybe that will be accepted.
Other than that, talk to your Japan Embassy to see if you can get some help from there.

Or, maybe better yet, is to find a dealer/shop in Nagoya and find out how they do it - Harleys are popular there, so I'm sure they've been thru' it.

As a side-note, I've been thru' my share of red tape stuff, but went the other way: I brought my H-D from Korea some years ago, and had to buy new slip-ons with catalytic converters in them. Needless to say, they are resting peacefully in my garage now...

Take it to the local Harley dealer, with an interpreter.

If anyone can help you with this, they can.

Welcome to the forum Dave. I suggest doing a google search for something like "Japanese HD owners forums" or such. Then you might find a person that speaks both languages and has knowledge of the laws that are holding you up.

You might have to take the bike to a shop and have the emissions checked, and the brakes checked and bring them a report/reciept from it. I dont know that for a fact though!
Thanks for the welcome...All good stuff......thanks for sharing. The local HD Dealer (Champion HD in Nagoya) was of no help, believe it or not no one there spoke any English. I may try to go back to them along with an interperter and see what's up. There is a local M/C shop near my house, and I am asking them to proceed on my behalf. The first encounter....asked for the equavilant of $1500.00 to perform everything...registration, Insurance, and when they picked up the bike (can't drive it with out registration) he kept it for a few days and told me that because it did not have an emissions report that he had to create the paperwork, and it would cost an additional $3500.00, I told him no thanks bring the scooter back home, and they did. Thanks for all of the suggestions, I let you know what happens next.
dave

Hi Dave
I take it that you are US American, and your scoot is the same?

You could try contacting some European dealers - Euro countires have had emissions regulations for a number of years, where the CO2 emissions form part of the type approval (at least for cars).
As suggested, it is possible to get the emissions measured, and maybe that will be accepted.
Other than that, talk to your Japan Embassy to see if you can get some help from there.

Or, maybe better yet, is to find a dealer/shop in Nagoya and find out how they do it - Harleys are popular there, so I'm sure they've been thru' it.

As a side-note, I've been thru' my share of red tape stuff, but went the other way: I brought my H-D from Korea some years ago, and had to buy new slip-ons with catalytic converters in them. Needless to say, they are resting peacefully in my garage now...
Thanks for the response, good information. I have a brother living in Germany (since coming home from VietNam in the early 1970's) I caould ask him to talk to a local dealer for me. Thanks again for this. I had to laugh at your comment about the catalitic converters are in a safe place in the garage. My stock mufflers are currently on the scooter, and the real pipes are in the garage waiting for their debut.

Take it to the local Harley dealer, with an interpreter.

If anyone can help you with this, they can.
As noted above they were of no help, but that was without an interperter...What part of Italy are you in I was there from 1996-1998 living just out side of Naples, riding with the Breakaway club sponsored by the navy.

Welcome to the forum Dave. I suggest doing a google search for something like "Japanese HD owners forums" or such. Then you might find a person that speaks both languages and has knowledge of the laws that are holding you up.
Thanks for the welcome...Great Idea. I'll search right after posting this note, just wanted to say thanks for the response.

Last edited by a moderator:
As noted above they were of no help, but that was without an interperter...What part of Italy are you in I was there from 1996-1998 living just out side of Naples, riding with the Breakaway club sponsored by the navy.

I'm up around Milan, will be visiting Naples later this year.

I'm not surprised no one at the dealer spoke English, it's not much better around here.

I would try again with an interpreter, or someone from an office who
specializes in moving paper.

I have a friend who is in Taiwan, I've emailed him with this issue.
No promises, though.

Thanks for the welcome...All good stuff......thanks for sharing. The local HD Dealer (Champion HD in Nagoya) was of no help, believe it or not no one there spoke any English. I may try to go back to them along with an interperter and see what's up. There is a local M/C shop near my house, and I am asking them to proceed on my behalf. The first encounter....asked for the equavilant of $1500.00 to perform everything...registration, Insurance, and when they picked up the bike (can't drive it with out registration) he kept it for a few days and told me that because it did not have an emissions report that he had to create the paperwork, and it would cost an additional $3500.00, I told him no thanks bring the scooter back home, and they did. Thanks for all of the suggestions, I let you know what happens next.
dave

Dave
IMO you did the right thing - charging USD 1500 would for me be within reason but the sudden added 3500 for emissions papers is gouging. As I know them, the Japanese are honest people, but this sounds like someone saw an opportunity...

You really need to get an interpreter to get this sorted. While I was in Korea working for a Co, we had a local driver and a secretary who we used for all red tape stuff, registrations, getting local drivers licence, etc. It's very hard managing wihtout one given the very limited English skills there (very similar situation in Japan and Korea).

You could try the local University - those studying English and wanting to practise their skills...

Good luck with it, and let us know how it goes.

Dave - on a side note, take a stab at learning how the "Multi Quote" button works!

:p

Back