free website stats program Registering bike in Canada and new Speedo Laws | Harley Davidson Forums

Registering bike in Canada and new Speedo Laws

NiteOwl

Things have changed since I registered a bike from the US in Canada back in 2005.

My buddy just bought an 08 Electraglide bike in the USA and brought it to Canada. He has been informed of the new rule that the speedometer must read KPH when inspected. I suggested he take my speedo from my 2008 Street Glide for the inspection then give me my speedo back.

Question, on the 08ès can my speedo just plug into his harness without buggering up the speedo I have heard of problems with later model bikes and also problems if both bikes are not ABS or non-ABS.

He just does not ahve the $ (500) to give to the dealer to install a new speedo for this. He wants to keep the bike in MPH.

Canadian tire no longer do the stickers. Things have chanced since feb of 2013. Makes itch more expensive to go through the process. That's why we had hoped the speedo swap would work for now.
WAP.gif

I've done a few shady things in my past...Lucky, Never caught.

Todays day and age Especially in the USA, (? Canada) I would Never take a chance of doing this (switching for inspecting). It is probably a Felony and High $$$ cost of fines and Jail Time Could result, "IF" caught...:23:

Not worth it.

I do like the Idea of the over-lays. BUT you might need to ask, to see "IF" that would be accepted as the same...?????

Some of the temporary covers on bikes speedo's I have seen, using covers for advertisements etc. I could not tell the difference by looking. Might just work IF the inspector is :small3d035:

signed....BUBBIE

Personally I'd try it and if caught I'd say I bought it that way and didn't know. I seriously doubt a safety inspection would carry any kind of felony charge, just pass/fail.

Personally I'd try it and if caught I'd say I bought it that way and didn't know. I seriously doubt a safety inspection would carry any kind of felony charge, just pass/fail.

Think of it this way:

You are trying to get a USA Vehicle Passing inspection into Canada and Trying to doing it somewhat Illegally...?...

HMMmmmm

Maybe that bike will become the Property of the Crown. """CONFISCATION"""

They Love riding HD's as well:bigsmiley14:

signed....BUBBIE

This thread reminds me of a story back when I worked for TWA. If a pilot is based away from where he lives (very common) you might have an "airport car". Usually a junker or older car because you only put 2 or 3,000 miles a year on it. The thing is usually parked in the airport parking lot.

On an old internet pilot message board one guy had an old Chevy Nova and he was asking his buddy (who owned a Buick Skylark (the same car)) if he could "borrow" his 4 wheels with newish tires so he could pass the state inspection. After the inspection they would swap back.

Some stuffed shirt (EDIT) piped up how that was "So unprofessional" for a airline pilot to do such a thing! The pilot profession has it's share of stuffed shirts!

Moderator Note: Please read our rules on language

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
This may work both ways, I bought a 2000 Superglide that was originally purchased in Canada, Before I took delivery of the bike Daytona H D swapped out the speedo and put the corrected mileage on the new one, the bike had 16 miles on it the owner did not like it and traded it back in

I would think the KPH overlay would be acceptable if you can find one. I'd check with Transport Canada to make sure. However, if your buddy is going to run the bike in Canada, he can't leave the speedometer in MPH. It's gotta show in KPH. Too bad Mother Harley doesn't put speedometers that show both on the bikes like a lot of car manufacturers do.

Back