free website stats program reg to syn3 at 40,000 | Harley Davidson Forums

reg to syn3 at 40,000

rktsoftail13

I swapped the oils in my fxsti for syn 3. once i turned the bike on i got an oil light. it has the right amount of oil. the oil light is on at idle and goes off at rev, changed oil sensor promblem is still there

Had this problem with my '03 UC before I up-graded to the roller chain conversion. Changed out the sending unit, not the problem. Bought the Baisley LMR-002 pressure relief spring and that boosted the oil pressure enough to compensate for the lower oil pressure. Got me back over 30 psi (around 34) hot at running speeds, and around 10-12 idle.

I strongly recommend changing out the fluids to some FULL synthetics in the engine and tranny. Primary is good with a fit-for-purpose wet clutch/chaincase fluid like HD Formula +, Spectro Primary, etc.

Engine: FULL Synthetic 20W50 Vtwin engine oil
Tranny: FULL Synthetic GL-5 75W140 gear lube

TQ

I swapped the oils in my fxsti for syn 3. once i turned the bike on i got an oil light. it has the right amount of oil. the oil light is on at idle and goes off at rev, changed oil sensor promblem is still there

Like some said above....

IS the IDLE set UP where it belongs?????
Slow idle WILL show the same problem,,, TC motors need 950/1050 rpm at a minimum! for the idle.

IF it didn't do it with the Mineral oil, Just when you changed out to the Syn3.... I would NOT use syn3(.)

MOST of the responsive Members here would Suggest almost any other oil before SYN3. (.) I'd rather see you go back to the regular HD oil (much better) BUT the light should NOT come on just with the different oil at idle.

The pressure at idle tells me that it may be the oil pump BUT testing IS needed.. Pressure gauge at idle cold and idle warm ?
what is your basic pressure
Fast idle at 2000 rpm ? cold 40 and warmed 30/35 ? If basic pressure not there You Do have a problem.

IF really low shut it off and do what is necessary.. Like Smitty says.

questions you need to answer for us: How many miles on the bike?
any Modifications now or before the oil drop off pressure..

I for one would suggest the "KIT" IF the oil pump is gone... The stock oil pumps NEEDED to be better than HD put in the earlier TC motors... Maybe NOW is a good time to UP-grade your engine..

Lucky you if only the oil pump (mis-aligned possible) and not the engine bearings worn out.

The conversion KIT does the change over of a Lot of Needed up-graded parts for your bike at a VERY Low cost... KIT #25284-08 Parts 429.95$ gets you converted to the Hydraulic tensioners with new cam plate, chain gears, chain,New style oil pump with more volume..... separate pricing would Shock you!

Let us know where you go with this and more help here IF you answer the basic questions about your bike and pressure check.

signed....BUBBIE

bubbie who makes this kit ? at low idle with no throttle i have 0 pressure showing, at about 2500 i get about 30 psi. the bike is a 2005, it has 41000 miles on it. some mods that have been on the bike for years. i just decided to go with syn 3 and thats when i got the oil light. Again thanks for the help everybody

bubbie who makes this kit ? at low idle with no throttle i have 0 pressure showing, at about 2500 i get about 30 psi. the bike is a 2005, it has 41000 miles on it. some mods that have been on the bike for years. i just decided to go with syn 3 and thats when i got the oil light. Again thanks for the help everybody

Bubbie is talking about the HD upgrade. That is a HD p/n.

Here is some info for you and a pictorial on doing the up-grade:

Roller Chain Conversion white paper

Roller-chain Conversion - Harley Davidson Community

TQs Engine Build

TQ's Engine Build - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Back