free website stats program Reg. oil vs. Synthetic, Noisy ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Reg. oil vs. Synthetic, Noisy ?

always had synthetic since 1000 service. however not all sync is the same as far as noise in the valve train. I have tried Syn3, Amsoil, Redline & Mobile1. of these mobile1 and syn3 were noiseyest. IMO

always had synthetic since 1000 service. however not all sync is the same as far as noise in the valve train. I have tried Syn3, Amsoil, Redline & Mobile1. of these mobile1 and syn3 were noiseyest. IMO
I have been using Syn3 in the motor with some nosie in the valve train. I decided in March to try Mobil 1 Synthetic V-Twin Oil. I noticed it was a little thicker than the 20-50 Syn 3 out of the bottle. Ran the bike when temp's in the 50-70's and it idled 50 rpm slower than with the Syn 3. The valvetrain was a littler quieter with the M1. I decided to drain the M1 and put Syn 3 back in it out of concern that it was too thick for the cooler outside temp's. I just had a cam, lifters, and adj. pushrod upgrade and the valvetrain is noisier than stock. I may try the M1 again now that it's summer and temps in the 80's - 100's. Anyone notice of Amsoil or Spectro is thicker out of the bottle than Syn 3?

Syn3 is a blended oil, not a true synthetic. Your better running a true synthetic. I've run M1 in my scoot since it's first oil change. It's fine to leave it in thru winter.

After reading a bit about this in the past, both seem to have there place etc....

My question is specific to the new TC eng. and is simply this,
when running synthetic do you find it to be a bit noisier ?
i.e., do you notice more eng. noise and/or clutch/tranny ?

Yes as do many. Main reason I've gone to the VR1 50w in winter and 60w in summer....noise is 50% less.
ValvolineVR1Racing50w.jpg

Back