Reg. Oil or Synthetic

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by BayouHawg, Aug 13, 2009.

1. BayouHawg

BayouHawg Member

I have a 2002 Softtail Heritage with just under 24,000 miles. It has always had regular harley oil put in it, is it too late to switch toi synthetic. If not what do ya'll suggest. Thanks for the info.

2. Dr. Dolittle

Dr. Dolittle Experienced Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Never too soon or too late. Most use Mobil 1, Spectro, or Amsoil.

3. glider

glider Veteran Member

You can change it anytime. I change the oil at 100 miles on a new bike and do it then.

4. The4opps1

The4opps1 Junior Member

Used Harley oil in my '99 Ultra until I did the roller chain conversion. Went with Mobil 1 V-Twin and have never been happier with the performance of the oil. My scoot had about 70,000 when I changed....

5. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

Go with Synthetic at anytime...much petrol research has been done promoting it's attributes, all I perceive is that the bike is quieter and oil coming out at 2-3k miles is not black like regular "dino-oil", IMHO..."--isn't your two-wheeled baby worth it"?

6. BayouHawg

BayouHawg Member

Thanks for all the info. I appreciate it.

7. jfbloom

jfbloom Member

Does anyone know whether or not you need to flush out the reg. oil before using the synthetic? and if so, what do you flush with?

8. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

JMO --- no need to flush , just drain out old ,put in new!

9. elkhunter149

elkhunter149 Account Removed

U will never go wrong with Harleys synyhetic oil. Better than most

10. Fossil

Fossil Active Member

If I had a new or low mileage Harley I would go to a synthetic made for air cooled motorcycle engines. I have 105K on peroleum oils with no problem. If I change over to synthetic most mechanics tell me to expect oil leaks. That some sludge is all that keeps old oil seals intact and not leaking. Any one out there have any experience with this? Fossil