free website stats program Reflectors | Harley Davidson Forums

Reflectors

Dynajoe

I got some good tips on removing reflectors on this forum. I have a vivid black dyna, so I have made the entire bike simply black & white (Chrome). I have smoke lenses on the marker (signal) lamps and the tail lamp now looks chrome and smoke lens. Just them yellow and red reflectors here and there to remove, and she is all black and chrome and nothing else. The big yellow reflectors on the forks should be easy to remove. But them little red ones on the rear fender, and on the license plate don't look so easy to remove.
Is there a way to paint or cover up these little red reflectors?? Any tips on taking these pesky things off?? Maybe a big black magic marker pen? It's legal to do so here, so you will not be aiding to the deliquancy of an old geezer. Once I get that done, I'm gonna take a bunch of pics of the Dyna both in colour and in mono chrome. She loves the camera...

Try some nylon fishing line. That's what I used. Takes most of the 2 sided tape off. Then use a little varsol on a microfibre towel to clean up the rest. I removed all the reflectors this way. I also have smoked lenses. Including the license plate. You can also do a search on here for more info.

The only thing I would add is that any time I take reflectors off I heat them (with a blow dryer not a heat gun) then twist to take them off. I don't want to pull for fear pulling the reflector would take the paint with it..then to get the glue off I usually use WD40

The only thing I would add is that any time I take reflectors off I heat them (with a blow dryer not a heat gun) then twist to take them off. I don't want to pull for fear pulling the reflector would take the paint with it..then to get the glue off I usually use WD40

Exactly what I did and would do again. WD40 also works well to soften and remove decals and stickers too. :s

Well that went good. The reflectors came off real easy. A little pateince with the heat gun, then start the removal with the fishing line. I then grabbed the reflector with plyers and slowly twisted each and everyone of them off. That was the easy part.
Using WD-40 on what was left behind is the best tip. All the glue and stuff came off with elbow grease and time. None of the chrome or paint was affected.
Now my Dyna is completly Monochrome (except for the license plate). Black & Chrome and no other colour. Once the Mustang seat arrives, I will take photo's and post. A true throw-back ride!!!
Thanks for the tips Sisters & Brothers...

For me it has been heat gun and dental floss. For the remaining residue I've found that Goo-Gone works the best. For real stubborn adhesives, like on the air cleaner cover rings, I soak a paper towel with Goo-Gone and lay it on there overnight.

FWIW, I bought some gloss black reflective tape to stick to my saddlebags or whatever, if I want some reflectors on the side or back.

Back