free website stats program Reflector Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Reflector Removal

ReefRider

I just picked up a some saddlebag latch inserts.
They go where the reflectors are on the latches. has anyone installed these?
How the heck do you get the reflectors out without messing up the surrounding paint?

I just picked up a some saddlebag latch inserts.
They go where the reflectors are on the latches. has anyone installed these?
How the heck do you get the reflectors out without messing up the surrounding paint?

Try some fishing line, check the self help section I think NEWHD had some info on this:s

You can gently heat the reflector with a heat gun, do not use very hot setting. This is how I'd remove the strong adhesive on metal and plastic items on trikes without damaging the paint or the item removed and then use WD-40 on the cool surface to remove the glue left behind

I think that dental floss would allow you to cut throudh the mounting pad or warm it up a wee bit and pull it off
if you dont have a heat gun then a hair dryer may just get it warm enough to loosen the glue
be carefull if you use a heat gun and use the low setting as too much heat will blister the paint

Brian

I just removed the reflectors from my denim black street bob (rear fender) last week.

I did the following and it worked like a charm:

1) Spray a (little) bit of wd40 on the foam area behind the reflector and let it sit for about 5 min (make sure it does not drip on your brake pads or belt, just in case)
2) Get a hot air gun that you can set to a certain temperature, about 50-79 degrees Celsuis is okay. Heat up the reflector area evenly, but make sure you don't overheat the parts.
3) Pull the reflector off, this will go easy when the temp is high enough.
4) remove the chunks of adhesive with your fingers (after heating up the part where they were sticking on the bike with your hot air gun)
5) shine up your surface with some pledge and a dry cloth.

Done!

One thing we all forgot, check with the state you are in this may be ILLEGAL:s

Back