free website stats program Redline Shockproof Leaks? | Harley Davidson Forums

Redline Shockproof Leaks?

Blue Wide Glide

I have a 2005 Dyna Wide Glide, and I have a leak around the shifter shaft seal since I used shockproof oil. I beleive that since the shifter shaft is above the normal oil level, the oil that is leaking is the oil that is sticking to the shifter shaft inside the transmission. The seal that is on the shaft ($2.00) is not very hardy, and the redline oil sticks to everything in the trans, so the seal is probably trying to stop more oil than it is designed for. I will probably try replacing the shockproof oil and re-test for a leak before I pull the inner to change a $2.00 seal.

I GOT A WIDE GLIDE,ALSO RED LINE SHOCKPROOF HEAVY,...ALSO,NO LEAK.I'll be keeping an eye out tho.

I have replaced the shifter shaft seal (and installed a new chrome inner as long as I had the original one off).
The rubber part of the old seal had hardened, and no longer "hugged" the shifter shaft to keep the oil from leaking. I have no idea why this happened, but it did.
The red shockproof oil sure made it easy to find the leak, and diagnose it as the transmission fluid.
I feel sorry for anyone that has to pay a Harley dealer to do the repair for such a small part$$$

I have a 2005 Dyna Wide Glide, and I have a leak around the shifter shaft seal since I used shockproof oil. I beleive that since the shifter shaft is above the normal oil level, the oil that is leaking is the oil that is sticking to the shifter shaft inside the transmission. The seal that is on the shaft ($2.00) is not very hardy, and the redline oil sticks to everything in the trans, so the seal is probably trying to stop more oil than it is designed for. I will probably try replacing the shockproof oil and re-test for a leak before I pull the inner to change a $2.00 seal.

Its not the oil, its the seal, the HD seal is junk. Replace it with a high quality Cometic or James Gasket and life will be good. Of course to get to it you will need a few other seals/gaskets, replace all the inner stuff or you will be going back in again...

Its not the oil, its the seal, the HD seal is junk. Replace it with a high quality Cometic or James Gasket and life will be good. Of course to get to it you will need a few other seals/gaskets, replace all the inner stuff or you will be going back in again...

Since he all ready replaced it i'm pretty sure he knows what he needs and that it was the seal as he said in the post above yours

Back