free website stats program Redline Shock proof | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Redline Shock proof

Just a note about the shift from neutral to 1st. It is the primary, specifically the clutch, that has the greatest effect on that initial clunk. What causes it is the adhesion of the primary and transmission sides of teh clutch, with the tranny in neutral. The plates tend to stick together, due to the lube between them, just a bit.. The big clunck happens when you drop her into first, if the primary and tranny sides of the clutch are spinning together due to clutch adhesion. If you will hold the clutch in for 30 or more secs on a cold morning, before shifting it into 1st, you will find that there will be little to no clunk.

Enjoy,
Rich P

One more reason those who choose gear lube have less problems and down time with their trannys:s
I have Red Line in my tranny too. What if there is an issue like a problem that Harley needs to fix under warranty? Is Red line approved by Harley or would they refuse to repair my bike if Red line was in the tranny?

Last edited:
which one is better if you live in say... tucson az where it doesnt really get that cold?
Redline does get just a bit thick in the cooler mornings here in Tucson. This morning was just such an example. Just treat her gentle until she warms up slightly. She'll be fine. The Spectrol has worked well for me also. I prefer the Redline slightly more under normal temps and use. The Spectrol is somewhat better on cold mornings.

Enjoy,
Rich P

I used Redline shockproof for quite a while until I switched to Spectro myself. I found the major difference was when the temps were cold out. The Redline would require some driving to warm up a bit before the shifting became better which I attribute to the viscosity index. The Spectro had the same shifting quality as the Redline but no warm up needed to perform at it's peak. I used Spectro from then on .

Both gear oils exhibit the same as far as the metallic fuzz absence on the magnet so I would catagorize both of these products as excellent with that one small difference as far as warm up.
I have one more Qt of Red line left and then I'll be switching back to spectro too (due to availability).

Both gear oils exhibit the same as far as the metallic fuzz absence on the magnet so I would catagorize both of these products as excellent with that one small difference as far as warm up.

What do you use in the primary? I am going to order Spectro 6 for the transmission today.

Back