free website stats program Redhot Sunglo/ Smokey Gold??? | Harley Davidson Forums

Redhot Sunglo/ Smokey Gold???

oldgeezer

My bike is a twotone-Redhot Sunglo/Smokey Gold. I am wanting to paint the inner fairing and a few other misc. parts on it.I am wanting to paint them Redhot sunglo only, no Smokey Gold. The parts man at the dealership is telling me that the Smokey Gold is the base coat for the Redhot Sunglo, and I will have to buy a quart of each. Is this true? Is activator required for each of these colors? I'm clueless and don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that I do not need. Thanks for all the help that I can get.

Your paint is a base/clear you can go to a paint supply shop and they will mix you a base and tint your clear to produce a color match a lot cheaper then buying from HD and yes they require a catalyst.

My bike is a twotone-Redhot Sunglo/Smokey Gold. I am wanting to paint the inner fairing and a few other misc. parts on it.I am wanting to paint them Redhot sunglo only, no Smokey Gold. The parts man at the dealership is telling me that the Smokey Gold is the base coat for the Redhot Sunglo, and I will have to buy a quart of each. Is this true? Is activator required for each of these colors? I'm clueless and don't want to buy a bunch of stuff that I do not need. Thanks for all the help that I can get.

Nice color choice "the red sunglo".Paint is paint my friend, Harley subcontracts it out..for many years it was PPG and rescently Im hearing Dupont for the new models.I havent had to paint any 09's yet so I'll have to double check.Either way you do not need 2 quarts of paint to refinish your inner fairing.More like 2 half pints.Ill check with my supplier tomorow on the availability of 09 formulas and get back to you for the codes you need.My recomendation would be to remove the inner fairing yourself and contact a local bodyshop to have it sprayed.The materials are calculated into the paint labor hrs.If I where to write you an estimate it would look something like this.

Prep raw plastic .8hr
Flex $8
Refinish inner fairing 1.5
Add for 3 stage 1.0
Buff 1.0

At a bodyshop rate of $40 per hour and materials being about $28 per refinish hour around $250 should be what you can expect to pay.Thats good money to paint that inner.More than that and they're gouging you.

Here are the PPG codes for Red hot sunglow
Base; 922609
Candy; 922609-2

Any PPG suplier can mix these colors for you down to an ounce{most require a half pint minimum perchase}.They may also be available through Dupont,Diamont,Sikkens,Basf..I personaly have had the best results with PPG.Make sure you ask your local shop what paint line they use.Also, who ever paints your parst should be given a piece for comparisen.The base is the gold, the Candy top coat will change upon every additional coat.Nice to have a piece to match.

Awesome... thank you for that info. Where in the world can you find that kind of info? Local dealer said MOCO will not release the paint codes!

Back