free website stats program Redhamster212 | Harley Davidson Forums

Redhamster212

Hi Mate,
I have a HD 1993 FXRS-C 08/93, my problem is starting, the first time I hit the starter it makes a load click and I release the button straight away, then try again and it will crank over (Most Times), I have listed some details of the bike below and all electrical has been checked and battery load tested (Fully Charged Twice);

Starter: 1 week old, bought 1.4kw to replace original OEM to fix this problem
(Problem Still There) after $500 bucks

Battery: CTX20-BS; Load Tested Twice and result was (275cca) under load test
Battery Float before start: 12.98 vdc

Bike was second hand so do not know all that has been done to it,

Compression (Cold) 170psi each pot), this confirmed by bike shop

Cam: Andrews EV27
Valves: Noisy
Starter Relay was Changed with New Starter Motor

Ignition: Standard

I do not know what is going on but any help to fix this would be welcomed,
Regards
Greg Cousen
(Lurchy)

You didn't mention if the engine cranks over when you get the loud click or if it doesn't. Have you checked the battery cable resistance? Also was the starter solenoid replaced with the starter?

I would suggest looking in to your starter Reley, I think you have a late 1999 style not sure on your bike I know the late 99 FL were diffrent then the early 99 FL.

Thanks for the reply guys,
i have not checked resistance in battery cables but will do today, the moter will not crank on first hit on start button just get a loud clunk when solenoid engages, it seems only to be able to crank on the second hit on the starter, the starter motor was a complete unit with solenoid, this is the same problem i had with the original oem starter. I do know the battery leads have crimped and soldered terminals on them and a auto lecky i took one of the cables to said they are the same size he uses in 4 cyl cars.
Lurchy

I have had the same problem with my '92 FXR. I replaced the starter relay and it fixed the problem.

Hi Guys,
Glider,
i will check the resistance in the cables to see if that is the problem, and yep i did have the same problem with the OEM starter, as mentioned i have changed the start relay, the wire from the start relay to the solenoid i will check again also, will the resistance test work on this wire also?

TQuentini,
the pushrods are standard as the bike shop said they were the right length, when it comes to push rods etc i am completely in the dark, i was told that the noise was due to the Andrews EV27 cam not having a very big overlap (Very steep drop off) on the lobs and this causes the noise, i do not know.
as mentioned thanks for the reply and help guys
Lurchy

Hi Again, as you probly guessed i am from aussie, also how do you get a pic of you bike in your post like most of you have regards
Lurchy

Last edited by a moderator:
the pushrods are standard as the bike shop said they were the right length, when it comes to push rods etc i am completely in the dark, i was told that the noise was due to the Andrews EV27 cam not having a very big overlap (Very steep drop off) on the lobs and this causes the noise, i do not know.

Hmmm. :eam

Did they at least use NEW solid pushrods when they replaced the cam? You might submit a technical question, or call Andrews and talk to one of their Techs about the top end noise. I doubt they will say that is the reason.

Andrews Products - Main Page

TQ

Back