free website stats program Red Line in trannie | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Red Line in trannie

Just to expand on what Jeff posted above. You just need to remove the derby cover. A new gasket is a good idea just in case but I get multiple changes on one gasket. Careful with those cover screws when tightening. Torque to spec.

When you go to dealer to pick up oil filter just ask for the oil change gasket kit.
It comes with derby cover and 3 orings for the drain plugs. It not expensive at all.

I Don't know about your 08 but on my 09 FLHR, I have never had to replace the derby cover gasket. I have always been careful wiping out the center and around inner cover when off, NOT disturbing the gasket. 90,000 miles and still the same gasket on my bike. UNdisturbed and left IN, it should be good.

I do always wipe ALL oil off the derby cover and matting surfaces, then no oil Wicks around to cause a drip. YES, careful on the tightening.... The cover, EVEN Held and install the screws by fingers is the first Key and then I use a screwdriver type to finish it off using torquing diagram Just a wee bit at a time (opposite of one another in the 5 circle) ... Never had a leak on any bikes yet...:nosad

NOW, that darn "0" ring insert on the derby on my 06 1200 R sport :bigsmiley15:
signed....BUBBIE

I Don't know about your 08 but on my 09 FLHR, I have never had to replace the derby cover gasket. I have always been careful wiping out the center and around inner cover when off, NOT disturbing the gasket. 90,000 miles and still the same gasket on my bike. UNdisturbed and left IN, it should be good.

I do always wipe ALL oil off the derby cover and matting surfaces, then no oil Wicks around to cause a drip. YES, careful on the tightening.... The cover, EVEN Held and install the screws by fingers is the first Key and then I use a screwdriver type to finish it off using torquing diagram Just a wee bit at a time (opposite of one another in the 5 circle) ... Never had a leak on any bikes yet...:nosad

signed....BUBBIE

Same here Bubbie on the primary gasket last 2 bikes I changed primary fluid 6 times on both bikes with the same gasket with no leaks

signed....BUBBIE

Me too. Wasting money on a new one every time. Nothing wrong with having one hanging just in case.

Back