free website stats program Red Line in trannie | Harley Davidson Forums

Red Line in trannie

Colt.45

Hi all
I have a question about putting Red Line trannie oil in my '08' Soft tail. Do I need to take the primary cover off to ensure that all present oil [H.D. I assume] is out of it before adding the Red Line? New Harley owner here so sorry if it's a dumb question.
Colt.45

the primary is not your tranny oil...I always just drained and changed it out...I went with reline at my 5000 mile service

Hillbilly
Sorry,I have no idea why I wrote that. I realize the primary is not the trannie...........I guess I was just thinking something other than what I was writing about. Ok I'll just drain trannie when ready and put in the Red Line. How about the Primary though when I get ready to change it out for Red Line? Remove cover to get it all out?
Thanks from a newby......Colt.45

No need the get it all out. Just change it. Great choice BTW!

Hillbilly
Sorry,I have no idea why I wrote that. I realize the primary is not the trannie...........I guess I was just thinking something other than what I was writing about. Ok I'll just drain trannie when ready and put in the Red Line. How about the Primary though when I get ready to change it out for Red Line? Remove cover to get it all out?
When you change the primary you'll have to remove the cover to add the new fluid. Best to get a new gasket.

Just to expand on what Jeff posted above. You just need to remove the derby cover. A new gasket is a good idea just in case but I get multiple changes on one gasket. Careful with those cover screws when tightening. Torque to spec.

Hillbilly

DON'T use Red Line trans. oil in your primary. It is great in the transmission, but too heavy for the primary. It will cause drag on the clutch, especially when cold. You can use any motor oil that does not contain "friction modifiers" in the primary. I prefer HD Formula + in my Electra Glide, but use whatever is on my shelf in my Dyna. As long as it is not over 50w.

Remember...........

Redline ShockProof for the tranny...

MTL or V-twin primary by Redline for the primary... (both same product)

20/50 or 20/60 Redline for the motor...

Red Line Synthetic Oil

signed....BUBBIE

You Beat me Brother Pete lol

Jeff,Bodeen,Bubbie,Breeze........Thank you all guys. It will be a little while till I need to change em all myself but just want to be ready. I think I'll order the Red Line "Kit" online when I'm ready.
Colt.45

Jeff,Bodeen,Bubbie,Breeze........Thank you all guys. It will be a little while till I need to change em all myself but just want to be ready. I think I'll order the Red Line "Kit" online when I'm ready.
Colt.45

Make sure that Kit comes with enough primary lube..... Some kits I saw on line(never buy them) come with only ONE quart of Primary lube and that is Not enough on the newer TCams... calling for 40+ oz. when drained then refilled...

signed....BUBBIE

Back