free website stats program Red Key Lite stays on | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Red Key Lite stays on

I have one more question. While I am in there checking all the connections and such. Is it ok to put that electrical Grease on the ECM connector? I don't want to mess that up.

Thanks STEVE07,
I am going to put it on all connectors I can find. How about on the fuses themselves? Will it work with those?

You can apply a small amount with a Q-Tip ,then push the fuse back in.I have never really found it nessecary myself but again it won't hurt.

I've been following this thread and have done all the the connectors on my FLTRI. The bike has never given me any trouble I just thought that it couldn't hurt to do some preventative maint. I too would like to thank all the members for all of their help. I second the motion that this is the best HD site on the web.:D:D

I hopped on to the thread a little late, but this has happened a few times to me. It was always water/moister in the tail light assembly/connectors. A little compressed air, and no problems.

JDPEagle, the tail light assembly has a gasket and drain hole, which IS a pain to get lined up and sealing properly. Also, all the connectors should be cleaned with alcohol, mated and unmated a few times and then put a dab of dielectric grease before final assembly. It is an old automotive/RV owners trick. The grease is inert and prevents moisture and oxygen from interfereing with mated contacts and the corrosion that occurs if it is not used. $9.99 at the HD dealer, $7.99 at O'Reilly/Kragen Auto Parts...!

Well I live very close to the Atlantic Ocean. It is only less than 3 miles maybe less. I live down here in Vero Beach. So I am going to do the entire electrical system. Salt air down here can and will affect the bike big time. I started with all the connectors in the front fairing and working back.

I just can't thank everyone on this site enough. Merry Christmas.

I had the same issue, turned out that a wire bundle over top of the radio bracket was rubbing on the cross brace. It took some time to find but once located and repaired issue was fixed. I would suggest that you check for wiring that may be rubbing on metal causing a short. ( This short did not blow any fuses as this wire green / violet tracer is a buss communication wire, and does what you are expierencing.
best of luck

This has been a great thread to read! The help and the persistence at solving the problem is very inspiring!

The 'lesson' for me is if I wash my bike (something I rarely do) is to avoid using a blow dryer! I found that a quick ride will do most of the drying. Seem that these blow dryers always cause problems and my guess is that they blow water in directions that were never intended.

I figure if riding in heavy rain does not mess things up, then water is not the problem but the direction of the wind can be (as when using leaf blowers).

Tlyoungb I'm so happy you fixed your problem. I've learned a lot about electical connections and for that I thank you!

Back