free website stats program Red Key Lite stays on | Harley Davidson Forums

Red Key Lite stays on

tlyoungb

Ok not sure what is going on here, so ya'll are my only hope.

I was out this afternoon washing the bike and then got the blow dryer and started drying the bike. Nothing that I have not done out of the normal. I have an 05 Electra Glide Standard. So after I put the bags and stuff back on the bike. Drove down to the store everything was fine. Well got on the bike and got back to the house and noticed the Red Key Light was on. Speedometer, tack, fuel, oil and gas gauges are not working. I thought the alarm was on, but it was off. I can arm the system and the engine will not start, but when I disarm the system the engine will start, but none of the gauges will not work.

Hope anyone can help me here.

Sounds like some water may have gotten into a circuit somewhere. Blow dryer sometimes can push fluid into places we don't want it. I have washed my bike many times and not gotten fluid in a "bad" spot, but I know it happens. I use plenty of dielectric grease on all of my fittings to help avoid this, but sometimes it can get washed out. I would give it a few hours to see if it will dry out and try again. If no dice start pulling connections and blowing them out and immediately put them back where they were. Follow up w/ dielectric grease!! Just my thoughts.

It is the strangest thing I have ever seen. I can arm the system, and the bike will not start at all. Working just like it is suppose to. If you even turn the switch on, the blinkers will start flashing just like normal.

When I disarm the bike will start, but the key lite just stays lite, and none of the gauges work. I will have to try the drying again. I did spray water on the instrument panel. Recon that could do it?

Once you figure it put, be sure to post the fix so we all can learn from this.
Thanks.:D

Something may still be a little wet in there & causing the light to be on, water does some crazy things sometimes to electronics (None of them good).

My key lite stayed on once. Had no horn, guages turn signals or brake lites. It was a fuse. Worth giving them a look at.

hold in the trip reset switch when you turn on the ignition this will bring it into diag mode you will see a bunch of letters, hold the switch to enter each section it will tell you what code is set or none go through each letter n write em down, turn the ignition off to exit, look up what the code means and you may be able to trouble shoot your problem

Don't feel bad, my buddy just took his 2009 UC to the shop Wednesday, after their the service manager started his bike, same thing, one more problem they gotta fix. If I hear what it was I will post it back here, I do not think I would heck the fuses though, water somewhere it should not be will cause a fuse to blow if it shorts out.

Back