free website stats program Red key light / speedo/ tach light issue | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Red key light / speedo/ tach light issue

Yes, if your key light blinks after you turn on the ignition you have a stored code.

I believe you Spirit, but that just sounds so strange looking at it as a software/hardware arrangement type of thing. You would think the code would go out on the BUS to the ECM. I mean that is the purpose of having a 2 wire BUS to start with.. But I have seen stranger things in the past. That is certainly good info to know. Tks

I am dying to know what is stored in Tonka's TSM.

the turn signal module be it, tsm tssm hfsm, is connected on the bus, with security on your bike the key light will come on solid then go out moments after starting, if it then comes back on it means there is a problem, like the engine light it will come back on then go out after 4 sec if there is a historic, and stay on if there is a current code. there is also a new light that will be on '11 softail cos of the bus driven switch gear aswell as the abs light. so the '11 softail dash can light up a problem with, engine,abs,key and the body control module light.... just keeps getting more complex haha

I will check the time that it takes for the engine light to drop after the start. I do think that it does not come back on after the initial start. Ill post that info soon.

I crank her up and she runs fine . The engine light cuts off as it always has..just after initial start up.

What I was trying to find out was if this was in fact true..

""the key light means there is a trouble code coming from the tsm/tssm/hfsm not from the ecm, if there is no security on your bike you have a TSM (turn signal module) it still means there is a problem on the bike but not engine related, need a DTC number to help any more""

That is, does the KEY light mean you have a TSSM code logged.

What I was trying to find out was if this was in fact true..

""the key light means there is a trouble code coming from the tsm/tssm/hfsm not from the ecm, if there is no security on your bike you have a TSM (turn signal module) it still means there is a problem on the bike but not engine related, need a DTC number to help any more""

That is, does the KEY light mean you have a TSSM code logged.

Hoop; Do items #85 and #102 under self help "diagnostics and fuel injection related", pertain to your query?

Hoop; Do items #85 and #102 under self help "diagnostics and fuel injection related", pertain to your query?

Breeze, yes, #102 really sums it up. Great info Thanks!. But there is still this 1 question I have. From what I have read, yes the TSSM can indicate that codes are stored in itself, BUT the "Check Engine Light" will be it's companion and also illuminate..

My point being I can not find any documentation that indicates you can have a TSSM (KEY light) error code light Blinking or steady ON,, without the "check engine light " ALSO illuminated.

The fact that the Red key light is in the speedo does prove the code can be placed on the network bus (TSSM=>Speedo) so why not send it to the ECM also (TSSM=>ECM or TSSM=>SPEEDO=>ECM) to illuminate the amber "check engine light".

To sum it up for me,,, I was very surprised (from this thread) you can have a TSSM DTC code stored within itself and that code not sent to the ECM which in turn would turn on the Check Engine Light in the speedo.

To me, why even have a 2 wire commo bus network if the TSSM can't talk to the ECM and say to it "I have a problem".?

Everything I have read in my electrical service manual indicates if the Red key lamp is on (indicating a stored DTC),, the amber Check engine light will also be ON.
I have not seen it,, I have not tried it,, it's just what seemed logical to me.

Friend of mine at the dealer found a bad harness ground! Must have been built on a monday! All of this problem was caused by a faulty ground. Thankyou to everyone who worked on this issue for me.

Back