free website stats program Red key light / speedo/ tach light issue | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Red key light / speedo/ tach light issue

Mine is the basic FLHT Standard. Standard means no goodies or options.

------------------------------------

I have a 1929 38 Special with the hammer spur removed so it wont get hung up on the way out... Hopefully my foot will be the only thing that gets blown off!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, the big question still is why the key security light came on when I dont have security on the bike. Does the red key light signify I got a code wainting on me?

the key light means there is a trouble code coming from the tsm/tssm/hfsm not from the ecm, if there is no security on your bike you have a TSM (turn signal module) it still means there is a problem on the bike but not engine related, need a DTC number to help any more

the key light means there is a trouble code coming from the tsm/tssm/hfsm not from the ecm,

I thought all DTC's were displayed as check engine light codes? That's a new one for me.
If your correct, that sure would be the answer to this puzzle.

Tonka, dump the error log and see if a code is stored.

I thought all DTC's were displayed as check engine light codes? That's a new one for me.
If your correct, that sure would be the answer to this puzzle.

Tonka, dump the error log and see if a code is stored.

yeah only ecm codes for the engine set the engine light, the tsm will set codes to the key light, which are chassis and speedo related

My question now is:

If the "red key" is indicating a stored tsm/tssm/hfsm code, there ALSO should be (on top of the Red Key lite) a check engine light coming on twice when the ECM does a boot or power on reset.

I just can't imagine the check engine light ONLY coming on for the boot 4 seconds and not doing the 2nd illumination, indication there is a stored code or current code.

Maybe when Tonka checks in we will find out what the bottom line is to the error log. Or at least I will because I never have anything written that indicates that to be true.
Tonka's 2007 diagnostics should follow the same protocol rules as my 2009 and I haven't seen anything written that indicates mine would do that. I always thought the TSM/TSSM would commo any codes back to the ECM. That is the reason why even if there are NO stored codes, the speedo will display the 3 parts numbers indicating that those subsystems are checking in and are present on the BUS. (that is they COULD report a code if one was stored)

***Tonka... When you FIRST turn on the ignition key the check engine light should come on for 4 seconds and then will then go out. The important question I have is what happens after the light goes OUT. Does it REMAIN out or does it come back on. If it does come back on, how many second AFTER it first went out, does it come back ON.***

if there is a tsm code it doesnt mean the engine light will come on. if the code is only related to the tsm/speedo the engine light doesnt have a role to play, sometimes a fault will set a code from the ecm and the tsm so both lights will come on, there will be 2 different codes relating to the same problem. but problems like a turn signal output short wont set an engine light it will set a key light only

if there is a tsm code it doesnt mean the engine light will come on. if the code is only related to the tsm/speedo the engine light doesnt have a role to play, sometimes a fault will set a code from the ecm and the tsm so both lights will come on, there will be 2 different codes relating to the same problem. but problems like a turn signal output short wont set an engine light it will set a key light only

I had no idea that was the case. I wish the service manual would tell you that because that is important and could keep you from going in circles.
So you still read the error log in the same way but you may not have the amber check engine light. Ok ,, Tks

But now I have another question. On my bike I do have FOB security. So your saying if my Red Key blinks when the IGNITION is turned ON, I have a code stored in my Keyless Security module?

Or does what your saying ONLY pertain to bikes without the security feature.

But now I have another question. On my bike I do have FOB security. So your saying if my Red Key blinks when the IGNITION is turned ON, I have a code stored in my Keyless Security module?

Or does what your saying ONLY pertain to bikes without the security feature.

Yes, if your key light blinks after you turn on the ignition you have a stored code.

Back