free website stats program Recycled; not new but newly visiting... | Harley Davidson Forums

Recycled; not new but newly visiting...

cortezc

name is cort (cortez cate) live in Arroyo Grande CA...retired Plumber; did, and still do a little, contracting (general & plumbing) for about 45 years...always loved the bikes and rode a lot off-rode when very young...highway miles less than 50k... but i like it still.

Bought a FXD (2007) in 2007 not brand new but like new and rode it until a friend wanted to sell his FLHTCUSE2 that only had 1900 miles on it so i took it at a pretty good deal I think... abt 18k and that was Dec 2012...I have not ridden the Ultra that much but I do like it for the longer rides while I miss the DYNA for the around town ride.

There is a significant difference in handling at low speed and turning it seems to me and I try to practice slow riding when I can...my thinking is that slow riding skills are most important but in no way do I diminish the importance of high-speed skills but rather i think if we have excellent command of low speed skills the higher speed maneuvers will come a little more naturally.

The above is my opinion and subject to change as I evaluate the very valuable contributions made by all of you guys here and on other forums as well. Keep up the good work and keep the great advise coming...there is no substitute for experience in my minds eye but the absolute most valuable advise comes from an experienced rider who suddenly learns something new and shares it. Keep up the good work and communications all of you guys and gals and I sure thank you for your help....have fun riding and stay alert always.....
cort

You sure seem to be making up for lost time. A member for almost two years and 19 posts in the last two days is as we say in the south "gettin her done".

Good point Cort.
Slow riding really tests your skills on a heavy bike (I say heavy, because Harleys are much heavier than any Japanese bike I have ridden). It's so easy to simply open the throttle and ride at speed, as long as you can stop in time before hitting the obstruction in front of you if it stops suddenly.
I usually hone my slow riding skills regularly on a marked car park. I try to do a full U-turn within 2 car parking spaces without putting a foot down. it helps with the confidence in heavy traffic without wobbling on the front wheel.
Tom

name is cort (cortez cate)
There is a significant difference in handling at low speed and turning it seems to me and I try to practice slow riding when I can...my thinking is that slow riding skills are most important but in no way do I diminish the importance of high-speed skills but rather i think if we have excellent command of low speed skills the higher speed maneuvers will come a little more naturally.

Have to agree with you there. I rode my Heritage for 5 years and then bought my Ultra Limited this past October. Slow riding on this monster is much different than the softail. Have to really pay attention in parking lots and other places where you're going slow but might have to maneuver quickly. And if you're going slow, turn the forks almost all the way, and have to hit the front brake, she wants to go over. Almost lost it once already doing that. Have to use the back brake in that case. This beast is heavy. Its even worse when my girlfriend is on the back, so I avoid parking lots with her on there. A good excuse to avoid the malls and other shopping areas :p

Recycling -reinventing is a good thing Welcome back
:rider:wce

Well said; I just read a piece that was titled "Practice Makes Proficiency" --- good for me, I aim for perfection but know in my heart I ain't going to find perfect but at least it will get us up there a ways...lot of little things important in the slow handling of any bike but for sure these big uns....
I found out the hard way that the wheel turned and grab front brake is a sure way to have to do a pick-up!!it will rub a little raw spot on the 'pride'....:unsure

Back