free website stats program Recommended tire pressure | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Recommended tire pressure

WildThang Dunlop has through HD issued a recall on them they are replacing the 407 with a better 408 and no cost. They have figured out the 407's tire is defective

Smitty...no offense...but you may need to read the service bulletin again...it is not a recall...

I have 12k on rear tire, starting to cup on a 407, this is 2000 more miles then I use to get with 03 Rk,

I run 41 psi, on front a rear tire, but I did just get a new digital tire gag, it show I had 38 psi over the old slide gauge that was showing 41
Whenl you change out the front tire are you putting a 90deg Value stim in?

How does one determine the correct psi to inflate their tires?

1st Inflate your tire to factory recommendations.

2nd Thoroughly warm them up (about a 1 hr. ride)

3rd ck. the heated tire pressure, it should be
between 4 to 6 lbs. above installed pressure.

If it is higher than 4 to 6 lbs.you started with too low a pressure.
Adjust accordingly.

If it is lower than 4 to 6 lbs.you started with too high of a pressure.
Adjust accordingly.

So through a little trial & error, you will arrive at the proper tire Inflation
for your application. Which will give you,

A-Better performance

B-Longer Tire Life

C-Better fuel mileage

Tire Inflation pressure should be checked at regular intervals
and in the morning at the temperature at which it will be driven.

Every 2 weeks, or more often when temperatures are making
large swings like in the seasonal changes.
Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ! :bigsmiley11:

I have an 05 UC, I run 36 in the front and 40 in the back, fill and check them cold personally and I get excellent mileage out of my tires. I would follow your owners manual, has all the info in it about that.

On a trip I check them every morning before leaving on the first stint. If you know the tire was inflated properly the day before, you check it before riding and it's lost pressure you can check to be sure the tire wasn't punctured/damaged on the previous day's ride. On just normal weekend rides or whatever I usually check them as part of my overall "pre-flight" of the bike. Assuming I haven't hit a pothole, or run through some kind of debris or whatever, if I checked them on Saturday and ride again Sunday morning, I might not check them again on Sunday. Really I probably should, but I don't. Per the HD Touring Owners manual the tires for 1-up are supposed to be 36F/36R. For loaded or two-up, 36F/40R. I usually just always run the latter.

One thing most people don't think about is how inherently inaccurate most tire guages are. Its worth the money to get a "certified" guage from a racing supply store or the like. Another trick is to use Nitrogen versus air in your tires, although that can become problematic on the road if you need to adjust the pressure. Most service stations don't have N2 for tires.

Back