free website stats program Recommended cam on a 95" (big bore 88) | Harley Davidson Forums

Recommended cam on a 95" (big bore 88)

madvaa

I am planning to change the cams in my 01 night train this winter and would like some cam advice, i am thinking about the 203, 204, 254e and 260 screaming eagle cams, my riding is pretty aggressive and not to much on the highway so i want the low end torque. i bought the bike last year and the seller told me he only had the cylinders and pistons changed, i have a EFI so i have a PCIII to install at the same time, i got a big radius 2-1 exhaust. i also want to change the cam plate, oil pump, push rods and all cam bearings while i am at it. I will eventually add some heads (103 SE?) later on so the cams should be ready for this upgrade... Any suggestion? Should i consider a bigger throttle body later on? bigger injectors?

I am planning to change the cams in my 01 night train this winter and would like some cam advice, i am thinking about the 203, 204, 254e and 260 screaming eagle cams, my riding is pretty aggressive and not to much on the highway so i want the low end torque. i bought the bike last year and the seller told me he only had the cylinders and pistons changed, i have a EFI so i have a PCIII to install at the same time, i got a big radius 2-1 exhaust. i also want to change the cam plate, oil pump, push rods and all cam bearings while i am at it. I will eventually add some heads (103 SE?) later on so the cams should be ready for this upgrade... Any suggestion? Should i consider a bigger throttle body later on? bigger injectors?

Harley Davidson Community more reading in the self help section

I`we done some reading and i am considering S&S cam with gear drive as well, it is NOT necessary that is it street legal (emissions etc..)

I`we done some reading and i am considering S&S cam with gear drive as well, it is NOT necessary that is it street legal (emissions etc..)

I would think to call and talk with DEWEY'S HEADS up in Wa. state. He is Very Knowledgeable and would give you the best combinations he has seen used and I would do the Heads with him...
Don is his name and IF you PM me I would give you his number.... I've been to his shop up there and HE Does have the top of the line equipment and HE is the one doing the work..(very good reputation with builders and bikers)

ALSO R.Bingham may chime in here..... very smart one on these matters

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the tip Bubbie, the head work will be done here in Norway, but i will be shopping for parts in the US. I saw NRHS Perf. took $500+ for a stage 1 work.... i will be paying the same up here with a well reputation company. i guess i will be calling them on tip for a set up. What do you think about swishing to gears instead of chain? how is the "noise" compared, i mean switching from chain to gears on a car register will make a LOT of noise....

madvaa,

I did the 95" conversion on my 2000 FXDS back in 2001 to SS570 gear, wiseco 10.5 to 1 then later changed out to SE 10.25 teflon skirted pistons...

Head work , ported and flowed with Manly valves and springs. HD programable ignition tuner for the carb model, 42 mikuni and proper intake manifold. also used the delkron cam plate and feuling oil pump..
then added a 6 speed gear set to the HD 5 spd. box.:D

The older cranks (99-06) are Not as problematic as the newer ones of 07 and up 96" TC's and the run-out in older is much closer to tolerance.. Mine was the .0015 area. (under .003 needed for gear)

Great combination for me.

I did the proper (pin) check of clearances for the Gear Cams, they were Quiet and I love them.

NOW DAYS,,,,,The only thing about the chain, is the Low cost + getting the newer High volume oil pump and the newer style Hydraulic tensioners.... IF you are $$ cautious go the KIT way, not gear. 429$ for HD's KIT.. Includes the needed High Volume oil pump and cam plate.

I spent WAY more $$ for the feuling pump and delkron cam plate alone than the KIT...

I did prefer the gear drives; Much More Accurate on valve timing.:newsmile036:

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the feedback Bubbie.
I was planing to go for the SE cam plate kit and adjustable pushrods.
My "problem" is that i dont know what kind of pistons that is mounted in the bike right now, all i was told is that the previous owner was a harley tech and changed the jugs/pistons to 95" I asked if he had done cam but no he said. i am very happy with the bike right now but want more. i also have a PCIII USB that is going on.

Dyre "MAD" Vaa

Back