free website stats program Recommendations on a single rail bike trailer | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Recommendations on a single rail bike trailer

Except for an emergency break-down, no distance that requires getting on the highway. The tow vehicle kicks up all sorts of trash, rocks, glass, sticks etc, and it goes right on the bike on the trailer. You can't put a cover on the bike because it will flap in the wind and tear-up the paint. Call me picky, but I would get an enclosed trailer if I decided I needed a trailer on a regular basis. You can also rent an enclosed U-Haul when needed if it is a rare occasion that you need one. Just my opinion.
I never understood this train of thought. I tow my bike in the winter to Florida when I am lucky enough to go and when I get there I wash the bike just like I would if I ride it there in the summer. They get no more debris from the vehicle in front then they do riding them. Maybe even less if only towing one bike because it is tracking center not behind the wheels.

Except for an emergency break-down, no distance that requires getting on the highway. The tow vehicle kicks up all sorts of trash, rocks, glass, sticks etc, and it goes right on the bike on the trailer. You can't put a cover on the bike because it will flap in the wind and tear-up the paint. Call me picky, but I would get an enclosed trailer if I decided I needed a trailer on a regular basis. You can also rent an enclosed U-Haul when needed if it is a rare occasion that you need one. Just my opinion.

WOW... "tow vehicle kicks up all sorts of trash, rocks, glass, sticks etc" ... what kind of roads do you drive on?

I take an open trailer to Florida ,from Wisconsin, twice a year.Been doing this for the last 13 years.I have had 4 new bikes in that time.I can attribute no damage ,due to trailer hauling ,in that time.The only thing I don't like is driving where roads are salted.However bike is washed when I get there.

OK, an extreme position for sure, so I will just call you "picky".:rolleyes:

What Blue Wide Glide posted is not without merit, I own a 12 by 8 enclosed trailer with a 3 ft rap around diamond plate on the front.
I've pulled the trailer all over the country and was always amassed how dirty and grungy it gets after a road trip
After a good cleaning I've noticed little dings in the diamond plate and can only assume it came from rocks or other road debris.
Had this been a open trailer I dread to think what it could do to what I was hauling.
IMHO, if you run an open trailer and never experienced any rock damage you are lucky and 1 day your luck will run out.

What Blue Wide Glide posted is not without merit, I own a 12 by 8 enclosed trailer with a 3 ft rap around diamond plate on the front.
I've pulled the trailer all over the country and was always amassed how dirty and grungy it gets after a road trip
After a good cleaning I've noticed little dings in the diamond plate and can only assume it came from rocks or other road debris.
Had this been a open trailer I dread to think what it could do to what I was hauling.
IMHO, if you run an open trailer and never experienced any rock damage you are lucky and 1 day your luck will run out.
Thank You Jeff, that's my point exactly!!

I don't quite see it as a luxury as I worked hard for everything I have.

Good for you. You can afford it. I worked (EDIT) hard also for what I have, but not all of us can afford what you to have like I stated... just sayin' .

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 cents worth.
I have an 8 x 10 utility trailer been hauling the bike since 08 to Florida usually twice a year and up the mountains once a year. Maybe I'm just plain lucky but I have never had any damage from road debris. It may have to do with the height of the trailer, the bike sits higher than the Explorer wheels (the usual hauler) and about the same height as the F150. Also the stream of the bike is inside that of the tow vehicle. Also the tongue length is quite short so that may figure in as well.

Back