free website stats program Recharge battery | Harley Davidson Forums

Recharge battery

Dublin Dave

need to recharge the battery on my RK 2007 which has the V and H stage one fitted, is it ok to disconnect the battery and take it straight out or will I loose the mapping on the Power commander, which was factory fitted.
Regards
Dave.

No the mapping in programed into the memory chip.the only way to loose it, is shorting out the computer, i use to take my battery out once in a while to clean, every thing worked great after, now i have a SE race tuner, and still disconnect the battery, every thing good..

only bikes that could loose any memory in ecm was pre 2002 touring snd that was just hot & cold idle, pc's and add-on's are safe

Awesome info guys, I have to unhook the battery on the UC today and was worried about the map issue. Thanks again, you guys are good!!!

Take care and ride safe eh!!:D

Best bet is to have battery tender leads for charging and not even have to take the seat off.

As always thanks guy's I feel a lot safer now, so out it comes.
Cheeers
Dave:newsmile036:

Awesome info guys, I have to unhook the battery on the UC today and was worried about the map issue. Thanks again, you guys are good!!!

Take care and ride safe eh!!:D

As others have said, the map and memory is safe, no drama there, and as far as charging, if battery only needs surface charge, or only disconnected for short time, i.e. less then a month or so in a cool dark place, battery tender is fine.

If battery has been deeply discharged, i.e. mods took a bit longer then expected 3-4 months OR stored battery/bike in warm or hot conditions prior to reconnection, you may have to use a more "Stout" 2-3A charger initially and be prepared for possibly shorter battery life if newer AGM or Maintenance Free (low water/electrolyte content). Sometimes an even "stiffer" battery charge initially is required for the "old fashioned" flooded cell lead acid type, FYI...if conditions were less than optimum going in. :small3d029:

As NEWHD said a battery tender will not work on a battery that is too discharged, even in our shop with the large multi leads 10A tender we have to hook a 10A fixed rate charger to the battery first to get a surface charge on it, then the tender finishes the charge off just fine after that. Auto chargers like the tender do not recognize a totaly dicharged battery, there must be enough voltage there for it to read.

Back