free website stats program rebuilding caliper | Harley Davidson Forums

rebuilding caliper

so I searched & searched and I haven't had the opportunity to pick up a service manual yet but looking for info on rebuilding front brake calipers. I think I have one hanging up. I have to say that self help section is FANTASTIC! Can someone please point me to the information that I am sure is here I just can not find? Thanks again for the help.

This is why I am thinking they need rebuilt - I was riding home Sunday and it sounds like the brake squealers on the car brakes are coming from my front wheel. As soon as I apply any front brake pressure it goes away, and to my knowledge there are no squealers on the bike brakes correct? So I put the front end up a little yesterday and there does seem to be some drag on it, I can't get a full revolution of the tire when I spin it without continuously pushing on it. Also it appears that the outer top piston is out further than the other one, but I didn't have much time to play with it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for the help!!!!

Quite common for one caliper to move more than another. I use some old pads or something between the calipers when getting them to extend, so they don't POP out. DON'T use your finger, it hurts!:bigsmiley15:

After performing suggestion from Wrenchin, apply some disc brake noise reduction type silicone to back of pads. Also if pads are not oe type pads and made to fit calipers by grinding edges down, pads at times can cause squeal....

As wrenchin said get the pistons out a wee bit further and clean them i like to use a toothbrush for cleaning the pistons in the brakes but a bootlace works also

I like to coat the back side of the brake pads with copper grease it is a copper based anti seize grease and it tends to alter the harmonics to a range that we can not hear

Brian

thank you I will try that - I understand it should have some drag but the wheel should turn at least 1 full revolution wouldn't you think?

Thanks I appreciate the advice n sticking something in there...and not my finger :)

Thanks I will at this point they don't squeal & I sure don't want them to start

Thanks for the great pictures. I don't think the wife will mind if I borrow her toothbrush :newsmile099:

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you I will try that - I understand it should have some drag but the wheel should turn at least 1 full revolution wouldn't you think?

You may want to check your rotors for out of round also if you have 1 pad worn more, specially if it is worn at an angle JMO

So to update I can not believe what a pain this is turning out to be. I am ashamed to say I am (well was) an ASE master tech, Chrysler master tech and have been wrenching on jap bikes for years but for whatever reason these HD brakes are kickin my butt

Took calipers off 1 at a time, the right side (if your in the saddle facing the front of the bike - this would be the side the brake pedal & brake lever are on) was definitely more snug than the other one. Pads still have some life left so I cleaned up the pistons, and only the 2 pistons twords the outside of the bike move and the ones closest to the wheel don't even think about moving. Is that normal?

Then I tried to put the pads back in and as soon as I slide the pin in it pushes the pads to the inside (wheel side) of the caliper and no matter what I do I can not get them to slide on the pin in the caliper BUT if I take the pads out & put the pin in it slides like it is supposed to.

To make it all better now the other side (as I spin the wheel up in the air) is making the same rubbing noise.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! I really don't want to go buying 2 new calipers if I don't need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ron; I get no noticeable movement of the inner pistons when the caliper is off the bike, and there is no pressure between the pads. Probably a "path of least resistance" thing for the fluid?
To keep the pads separated, I rip a spring clothespin apart, and put the two flat sides next to each other. This makes a nice wedge out of the pieces that will keep the pads close to the pistons, and prevent fluid bleed from closing the pistons while you are getting things together. When the wheel is slid in, the wedge just gets pushed out.

don't know what name brand of caliper your working with,
BUT performance machine insert on their calipers says ONLY use soap
& not brake cleaner etc because it will eat the "O: rings.
go to the manufactures web site & look for a manual download.

Back