free website stats program Rebuild or replace master cylinder | Harley Davidson Forums

Rebuild or replace master cylinder

flipper

Account Removed
Okay, at the risk of sounding pretty stupid, here goes..... I was told by my HD dealership that I needed to consider getting the rear master cylinder on my '09 Heritage fixed. They are spot on as I noticed going the 167 miles up there that my braking on the rear was indeed mushy to say the least. I have decided to sell the bike :( and would like to take care of the brake issue myself. My question is, can we just replace the rear master cylinder, or do you have to rebuild it? My husband is pretty savvy when it comes to mechanics on farm implements and vehicles, but we don't want to get into something really complicated on a Harley. I want it to be 100% safe for a buyer or for me if I keep it and ride. I searched the self help topics and didn't see anything about replacing it, just a caution on rebuilding..........................

Okay (again), I think I'm seeing that you can actually replace it. Can anyone tell me how much it costs? I plan to see if I can get one at the closest HD (but not my) dealership to me tomorrow, but I feel like they will try to rip me off because of my gender. I'm wanting a rear master cylinder for my 09 Heritage. Thanks y'all!

MASTER CYLINDER ASSEMBLY
Part No: 41767-05B
Superseded part nos: 41767-05, 41767-05A
Price in UK £83.68 that is ex vat price

REBUILD KIT, master cylinder
Part No: 42382-87C
Superseded part nos: 42382-87D
Price in UK £61.19 that again is ex vat

There is not a huge difference in price between the whole assembly and the rebuild kit however most of the big twins have the same main parts of the master cylinder but the housing differs from model to model so it may be that the rebuild kit is in stock and the assembly is not
It is not particularly difficult to do a rebuild having suitable sized circlip pliers and an extra pair of hands available will help

Brian

I understand the whole planned obsolescence thing but I got to say that to have to replace the master cylinder after 4 years is just not right.

I understand the whole planned obsolescence thing but I got to say that to have to replace the master cylinder after 4 years is just not right.

Yeah, I agree. A 4 year old bike with just 25K miles shouldn't need a repair like that, but it sure is a mushy pedal. I bought the rebuild kit. Now I just hope we can do it right.

If The brake is mushy perhaps all that is needed is the brake fluid to be replaced by bleeding some new fluid through the system and that would remove any air bubbles or moisture that has gathered in the fluid
Brake fluid should be replaced every 2 years

Brian

The method that works best for me is to put a clear plastic pipe on the end of the bleeder open the reservoir cover apply pressure to the brake pedal and then open the bleeder the pedal will go down and the fluid should flow out through the plastic pipe close the bleeder and then release the pedal
Continue with this action till the reservoir is almost empty and fill it with new fluid continue with bleeding till the new fluid comes out the plastic pipe
If the pedal is released when the bleeder is open even if there is a check valve on the plastic pipe air can be drawn past the threads of the bleeder air in the fluid is not good spongy/mushy brake feel

Brian

Back