free website stats program Reassurance on Winterization | Harley Davidson Forums

Reassurance on Winterization

SprChkn

Hi all,

I was hoping for a little reasurrance about my winterization process - or maybe a good reason not to do what I planned. I keep the Streetglide in a heated room in my garage. I just had all three fluids replaced at 5,000 miles, and now have 6,600 miles on the clock. Spectro full synthetic in engine, Spectro in primary, and Spectro full sythetic in the trans. I got to thinking it did not make much sense to change the trans and primary for winterization, because I have only gone 1,600 miles on them, and they do not pick up the acids / contaminants that engine oil does. My plan was to change the engine oil with new Specto full sythetic, do all the other winterization stuff, and then hop on and ride come spring.

Anybody see any reason to change the primary and trans oil?

Thanks!

Just my opinion but if I knew that I was not going to start my bike for a few months, I would also fog the cylinders. That would be an absolute must for me.

If you have a heated space for the scoot, I believe you will be OK with the fluids. I'd just put a battery tender on it and wait till spring! Heated space eliminates most all of the storage problems. Could fog the cylinders if you like......

Battery tender and you should be fine.
Todays oils are not like yesterdays so it is not as big a deal parking them when a few miles on the oil and lube.
Your in a temp controlled room with it so mositure should not be an issue.
little stabl or sea ofam type product in the fuel full tank. wait for riding weather.
Fogging the cyl is not such a big deal unless your storing it for a year or so few months is no big deal on todays bikes.

Wow was starting to worry. Fogging the cyl?????????????
Don't want to sound dumb what is that because I did not do it.
Mime is in a unheated shed.

It is something we used to do often. New times new rides . Rules change.
Pulling the plugs and spraying a mist of oil in cly.
They even made special oils of this.
You must be careful not to put to much in and it is a good idea when you want to run to pull the plugs and turn it over a bit before you try to start it.
What to fog it with wow that would be a list. Here is a few.
Marvel Mystery OIL was number 1 for years
Engine oil aka
light sewing machine oil aka 3 in 1
WD 40
Any of the market fogging oils
rest of you add you secret fogger brew.

Cool thanks for the information. I think I will be ok then.

I have always stored my bikes in an attached, unheated ( but well insulated) garage and never fogged the cylinders. Never had any issues.

You must be careful not to put to much in and it is a good idea when you want to run to pull the plugs and turn it over a bit before you try to start it.
I've heard there are cautions to be observed with the FI bikes regarding turning the engine over with the plugs out.
Possibly causing harm. I think something has to be done to the plug wires, you can't just let them hang.
I can't find any warning in my '07 service manual but maybe others can chime in if so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having the spark plug wires pulled but not grounded...means the 15-20,000V spark has nowhere to go and could damage the ignition coil insulation or downstream electronics...the is why most use a bolt in the boot and ground it to prevent this.:s

Instead of fogging the cylinders - I use a syringe & squirt 3-4 oz. of oil in each plug hole. Then turn bike over a few times...not necessary, but I have this as part of my bike's winter prep. Your primary & tranny oil are fine.

I have always stored my bikes in an attached, unheated ( but well insulated) garage and never fogged the cylinders. Never had any issues.

That is true. Piston rings will usually just push right through any light rust formed on the dry surface of stored cylinder bores.

Back