free website stats program Reason 1023... | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Reason 1023...

Somehow sandals and shorts seem outta place on a Harley. Safety issues left out. While I'm not a big wearer of a lot of safety equipment....boots and jeans are a minimum for me. I ride home from work after dark now and at 65-75 a big bug smash can be not so good feelin'. During the day on one stretch of hwy, there are a lot of water trucks with stones embedded in the tred from the drilling rigs. I have lost 2 windshields (cage) on this stretch and try to avoid it on two or four wheels.

The last time I wore sandals on a two wheeler was 1981 in Benedorm Spain while riding a VESPA, wife was on the back in a sundress....oh the memories.

I bought on sale at Sears a pair of GPX half boots, slip ons, They are great and as easy as sandas to get into for a short trip.

Last edited:
you are lucky, i had shorts on one day this summer when i put my new pipes on and just went down my street, put my foot down at the stop
and fried my leg. I will never ride in shorts even just to move my bike.
Now after breaking two bones in my foot after a fall with hightop boots on
the tennies are staying home. Pain teaches us.
i did this same thing over the 4th of july , was at my brother-in-laws and got on his sporty to go and gas it up , he ran drag pipes no heat shields . I was wearing shorts and thouight i was being oh so careful until i got to the gas station and put it on the jiffy stand . When i threw my right leg over to get off i just brushed the pipe with the inside of my leg ouch ! Will never ride in shorts again . Never to old to learn

I see quite a few guys, usually on the crotch rockets, wearing shorts. I never considered wearing shorts while riding and when my buddy went to Myrtle Beach and got a leg burn wearing shorts I knew why I didn't consider it. I haven't seen anyone riding wearing sandals. I don't know why you would even think about that much less do it.

One night i ran down to my dealer to pick up something doesn't matter , i heard a harley coming down the off ramp on i35 you know the sound , and he came wheeling into where i was and parked hie stc . He was wearing sandals , shorts , a wife beater shirt and a cap on backwards and this guy was no kid , at least 50 . All i could think was what an idiot !

I've had my Dynaglide for 17 yrs., the only time it's been on the ground was when I was moving it around in the garage with flip flops on. No damage to the bike, but I had a very sore groin for a few days:( Now there is always an old pair of shoes with heel cups and tread on my feet when I'm moving the bike.

Somehow sandals and shorts seem outta place on a Harley. Safety issues left out. While I'm not a big wearer of a lot of safety equipment....boots and jeans are a minimum for me. I ride home from work after dark now and at 65-75 a big bug smash can be not so good feelin'. During the day on one stretch of hwy, there are a lot of water trucks with stones embedded in the tred from the drilling rigs. I have lost 2 windshields (cage) on this stretch and try to avoid it on two or four wheels.

The last time I wore sandals on a two wheeler was 1981 in Benedorm Spain while riding a VESPA, wife was on the back in a sundress....oh the memories.

I bought on sale at Sears a pair of GPX half boots, slip ons, They are great and as easy as sandas to get into for a short trip.

Well, here in Southern California, shorts and flip flops are common, and like most who posted before, seen my share of riders wearing them on a motorcycle TWO UP none the less. Not smart and certainly not very considerate of the passenger who probably does not know better. :small3d007:

Was riding up Hwy 101 south of San Luis Obispo last summer and saw two pretty girls in bikinis and flip-flops riding their Harleys. Very nice to look at. They won't be so nice to look at when they go down.

Back