free website stats program Rear wheel turns in neutral | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear wheel turns in neutral

Rubyred

I just changed the Primary oil in my 07 heritage. while the bike was on the lift I started it up to check for leaks. After I started it up the rear wheel turns while running in neutral. Never noticed this before is this normal or does my clutch need adjustment, or something else? Thanks for any help given.:6:

My bike does the same thing.....there is always going to be a little drag on the clutch.
As long as it does not creep when its on the ground, or fight you trying to get it in gear, I'm sure its fine

Im watching for replies as mine dooes this also i just kinda figured that it was the harmonics of the beast runnung jmo

This IS normal,The lube tension in the tranny gears moves the wheel around..applying the brakes stops.. Nothing to do with any adjustment.... Cars idling on a rack with tires off the ground and in neutral, Turn also..

If in doubt about your clutch adjustment go look as I think My way is sooooooo easy..
Harley Davidson Community

Try It You will like it...

signed....BUBBIE

This IS normal,The lube tension in the tranny gears moves the wheel around..applying the brakes stops.. Nothing to do with any adjustment.... Cars idling on a rack with tires off the ground and in neutral, Turn also..

If in doubt about your clutch adjustment go look as I think My way is sooooooo easy..
Harley Davidson Community

Try It You will like it...

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks, I did it your way and it was easy. Thanks again.

It's called "parasitic" drag. Friction between the oil on the plates, etc. It happens on many mechanical devices.

Glad to see I was not the only one that wondered this. I asked the same question here about 2 months ago..or maybe more. I can't remember timeframes anymore.

"They all do that!"

Sound familiar?
But it's true.Chuck any bike on a stand with the rear wheel clear of the ground,put it in neutral and start it up.Watch that wheel turn.

As Bubbie and Breeze mentioned;it's internal drag with rotating components.You'll also find that bikes with rear drums will spin faster and easier than bikes with discs.(more drag with a disc brake)

All my bikes in the past have done same thing.Was in canada helping friend who got job up there move and my mustang with a 5-speed trans would try do move in neutral on cold mournings.

Back