free website stats program Rear wheel offset? | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear wheel offset?

mystryman

Hey all,
I recently bought a '98 fxwg with carriage works hurricane wheels. The rear wheel is straight and is aligned straight, but seems to be offset too far toward the drive (left) side. So much so that the tire rubs the fender lightly. At the fender I have plenty of clearance on right side, but none on the left. Was wondering if anyone knows how to adjust this to get the tire centered in the fender. thanks.

It could be the rim or it could be the spacers between the rim and swing arm. You have to figure out which one it is and go from there. It also may be the cross section of the tire if it is not a stock size.

driveline/ rear tire puzzle

I have a '98 fxwg with carriage works hurricane wheels. The rear wheel is straight and is aligned straight, but seems to be offset too far toward the drive (left) side. So much so that the tire rubs the fender lightly. At the fender I have plenty of clearance on right side, but none on the left. Was wondering if anyone knows how to adjust this to get the tire centered in the fender. This was from a previous post i made. since then the tire seems to have shifted further to the left. looking closer recently i noticed that the swingarm connects to the tranny rather then the frame on other bikes. This basically makes the whole driveline directly connected from motor to wheel. My question is could a bad engine or tranny mount cause a driveline shift? recently my bike feels like the rear tire seems to want to drift to the right while i ride. tire is aligned within the swingarm.

Please continue your questions in the same post here that you started instead of starting a new thread about the same question.

Have you had the wheel off where the spacers could have been switched with each other?

oops. thought i was starting a new thread....lol

yeah. did that by accident actually. the brake rotor would not line up with caliper and bracket

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember that REGARDLESS where you position the rear wheel, the Front wheel MUST be superimposed over the same driving line.
If you don't, you will set yourself up for induced wobble and terrible handling geometry.

oh, i forgot to mention my exhaust bracket which bolts to the trans hes started to grind into my rear brake master cylinder which is mounted on the frame

@ hoople. How can i tell if the driving lines are superimposed?

Last edited by a moderator:
You had better check your motor mounts. The Dyna series mount the swing arm to the rear of the trans and if the trans/engine has shifted, everything moves then.

Back