free website stats program Rear Wheel Noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Wheel Noise

Petri

I have had this noise coming from the rear wheel it sounds like a metal on metal whining type noise. It only starts when I have ridden for a lil bit and at speeds over 15mph in every gear. I took it to the dealer a while back to get it checked out and they did nothing I wonder if they even looked at it. I have tried cleaning the belt and got no improvement. Can anyone point me in the direction I need to go.

See if you can get your eyeball and a flashlight in to look at the pad thickness on the brakes (front and rear). Try to see both ends of each pad to make sure they seem pretty even. If either pad seems pretty worn down, OR if either seems "cocked" with most of the wear on one end (probably the leading edge), you need to pull that apart and figure out why. Most likely one of the pistons is jammed and the other is doing all the squeezing!

If all your pads look OK I would jack the rear of the bike up so that the tire is off the ground. It is a good idea if the front tire is up against an immoveable object like a wall. I would carefully start the engine and slowly ease out the clutch with the tranny in first or second. Then I would see if the sound can be isolated and identified. Let us know what you find.

TQ

Are certain the noise is coming from the rear wheel and not the primary or something?

Back