free website stats program Rear wheel damage | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear wheel damage

tlg1100

With just over 2,300 miles rear bearing went out and damaged wheel. Bearing is under coverage but wheel is not.$ 2,000 in extra coverage and the 1100 parts covered and I still have to buy rear wheel,I know I bought a used bike but when they told me it was serviced and checked out and was ready to ride across country if I wanted,Glad I didn't try,Paid good money for bike and coverage.Called service plan number and the guy got real defensive right away like someone had been on his case all day ,I didn't stay on phone... just venting.......2,300 miles is all I got, its a shame if you ask me and has really soured my passion for now,and its not the money (well kinda) or the fact the wheel is on back order and can't ride or the big song and dance about freedom of the road and being a part of the dealer family(I'm a loner for the most part)but the way the service plan people got all defensive... all I did was ask about it, 2,300 miles..wow that was fun!!!:no:no

Is the wheel that needs to be replaced, the factory wheel that came on the bike when it was new? Did the bad bearing tear up the hub. Just wonder exactly what happen to the hub for it needing to be replaced. 2300 miles is not much mileage to tear up a set of bearings.

Did you look over the damaged parts yourself?
Is that 2300 that you put on? Was is total mileage on odometer?

Is the wheel that needs to be replaced, the factory wheel that came on the bike when it was new? Did the bad bearing tear up the hub. Just wonder exactly what happen to the hub for it needing to be replaced. 2300 miles is not much mileage to tear up a set of bearings.

Did you look over the damaged parts yourself?
Is that 2300 that you put on? Was is total mileage on odometer?

It's a 08 heritage..I bought it used from dealer, I've put on 2300 miles since I have owned it When I purchased it I was told it was serviced and could take it cross country if I wanted, They said wheel was riding on bearing race and axle...I know..I know it was used, but for the money and coverage I purchased was hoping for more miles of smiles before this happened:cheers:cheers:lolrolling and have not looked for wheel on my own yet!

Only reason I asked for more detail is because it would take a lot to loose a wheel because of a failed 6205 Wheel bearing. I mean you would have to ride the bike in a TERRIBLE state to cause that much damage. I just don't see you seizing a 6205 to the point of spinning the outer race. Before that happens I would expect the ball cage to break and all the balls falling out. At that point the noise would be terrible.

Just wondering if you saw the damage for yourself or just going by what was told to you.

Hoople is correct to suggest that you look at the wheel. If a bearing fails and seizes you will probably damage the axel but to damage the wheel you would have had to ride the bike while the rear end was dancing all over the road.

Only reason I asked for more detail is because it would take a lot to loose a wheel because of a failed 6205 Wheel bearing. I mean you would have to ride the bike in a TERRIBLE state to cause that much damage. I just don't see you seizing a 6205 to the point of spinning the outer race. Before that happens I would expect the ball cage to break and all the balls falling out. At that point the noise would be terrible.

Just wondering if you saw the damage for yourself or just going by what was told to you.
I was two block away from my house and just heard a noise but really didn't know for sure it was from the bike got it home and up on the lift and had some play, I am trusting what they said until I can see the wheel..they told me on the phone that the outer race had welded it's self to hub and there was shaving of metal and the mech. didn't know if they would trust it,last time I spoke with them they said they were going to try to knock-out race and check run out on wheel I thought they might have done that first before telling me I needed new wheel,would like very much to trust them but you know the story??

I thought they might have done that first before telling me I needed new wheel,??

The dealership was probably just hoping to hear the words "Fix it" over the phone so they could start making some real profit. For a dealership, life does not get better then collecting on all ends of a repair. By that I mean collecting the contract costs for extended coverage,,,collecting the deductible cost,,,plus collecting the cost for an expensive non-covered part.

That's the dream repair job for a dealership. It just doesn't get better than that.

You can buy on e-bay a crome exchange wheel (rear rim) for $330.00 , plus $200.00 core charge if yours is ok to be re-cromed if not it would be the $530.00

With just over 2,300 miles rear bearing went out and damaged wheel. Bearing is under coverage but wheel is not.$ 2,000 in extra coverage and the 1100 parts covered and I still have to buy rear wheel,I know I bought a used bike but when they told me it was serviced and checked out and was ready to ride across country if I wanted,Glad I didn't try,Paid good money for bike and coverage.Called service plan number and the guy got real defensive right away like someone had been on his case all day ,I didn't stay on phone... just venting.......2,300 miles is all I got, its a shame if you ask me and has really soured my passion for now,and its not the money (well kinda) or the fact the wheel is on back order and can't ride or the big song and dance about freedom of the road and being a part of the dealer family(I'm a loner for the most part)but the way the service plan people got all defensive... all I did was ask about it, 2,300 miles..wow that was fun!!!:no:no

Is this an extended warranty you paid for when you say coverage/service plan? I think all parts that are damaged when another part fails fall under the coverage. I wish you much luck on the matter, and keep us posted.

Back