free website stats program Rear Wheel Alignment - Removal | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Wheel Alignment - Removal

Bosbury1

I'm trying to read up on the process of removing the rear tire on my 07 Deluxe to install a rear sprocket cover and bolt kit. I have the manual MOCO 99482-07 (Softail models) and can't seem to find the procedure? Does the 2007 and later have an automatic belt tensioner? Also, I've read that the rear wheel hardware has cam adjustment marks is this correct? Basically, I need to get additional information about removing and installing my wheel back so I don't have any alignment issues. Thank you.

p.s. Do I need to buy an alignment tool or can I make one? I saw the post from Glider with the contraption he made I might be over my head on this one but need additional information.

If you go to the menu jump tab and go down to manuals Speed has a download manual for 07 softails that is very in depth and should help you out

Steve,
Thanks found it in my book, but is is anything but detailed I think they want us to go to the stealer.

Sorry i cant be of any help to you as my bikes are all early 90s models but i do agree that the service manuals asume that you have a lot of prior knowledge/experince
im lucky i have the experience of many years on mainly european motorcycles and some hondas i have done 4 full nuts and bolts restorations a 75 trimph
80 motoguzzi 81 bmw and an 81 honda
and still find when working on harleys im missing big lumps of knowledge even with the service manual
i find the clymer manual a bit more detailed but should be cross refernced with the harley service manual

Brian

What if I measure from the swingarm bolt to the center of the rear axel nut will that be sufficient? Also, what about the belt deflection should I have someone sit on the bike while making that adjustment?

Your idea for mesuring the distance is fairly sound the older frames had a small hole drilled on the swing arm and a special tool is available L shaped bit of wire with an o ring on it (small allen key and an o ring will do the job)
plug short end of wire into hole and slide o ring to line up with bolt centre remove tool fit to other side of swing arm and see if oring lines up in the same place adjust till it does
on early 90s bikes dyna needs rider seated for belt adjustment softail dosent got to do with the arc of travel from pivot point of swig arm but the manual should tell you if rider should be on bike

Brian

This is what the alignment tool looks like. It's easy enough to make one out of a piece of welding rod or coat hanger.

Alignmenttool.jpg

I made that tool from directions in the manual and have modified it slight to allow it to work better. Made the ends.

The alignment rod seems relatively easy to make, but at the sake of sounding ignorant how does it work? Could you please provide additional instructions? Thank you.

Back