free website stats program Rear Wheel Alignment Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Wheel Alignment Question

ultra pearl

I am in need of a rear tire replacement. I have the new tire and plan to remove the rear wheel myself in order to save money at a repair shop. Since I live 4 hrs away from a bike repair shop, I will just send the new tire and wheel to them to get it changed out and balanced.
Having only removed shaft driven wheels before, that require no alignment when re installing, how much trouble is it to re-align a belt driven wheel?
Any special tricks?.
I have a Clymer shop manual for my 08 ultra, it mentions making or buying a wheel alignment tool.
Can I mark the alignment washers before removing the wheel and return them to the same marks when re-installing?.

on 08 touring models the rear axles have adjusting cams that evenly align the rear wheel.Hope that helps

You will need the belt tension measuring tool. Anyone handy enough to remove and re-install wheels is handy enough to use that tool. The belt being too tight or too loose each generate problems, belt tension needs to be correct. There are "shade tree" techniques for checking tension, but I wouldn't want to risk the labor and expense involved in shortening belt life or damaging bearings if tension isn't right.

Can I mark the alignment washers before removing the wheel and return them to the same marks when re-installing?.

I thought the same thing when I replaced my rear tire for the first time. But after actually measuring it I found my rear axle was off right from the factory. It was off by the max allowable per the HD spec in the factory service manual which is .030" in my case. Doesn't sound like much but that is AXLE shift which translate to a bunch more distance at the tire tread position.

And remember that this error adds over and over again to itself when the tire is rotating constantly driving the rear swing arm to one side.

You will need the belt tension measuring tool. Anyone handy enough to remove and re-install wheels is handy enough to use that tool. The belt being too tight or too loose each generate problems, belt tension needs to be correct. There are "shade tree" techniques for checking tension, but I wouldn't want to risk the labor and expense involved in shortening belt life or damaging bearings if tension isn't right.

I have that tool.

I checked all pages in the self help section, and couldn't find anything on wheel alignment...That's why I asked the question.

oops I was looking in the wheel tire section. my bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
After removing the rear wheel yesterday, with guidance from my shop manuel, I learned the alignment washers on both sides of the axle on the 08 ultra moves together because of the way they fit on the axle shaft.
Elimanating the need for the alignment tool. Both sides have to be the same.
I just marked where they were before, and will put them back on the same marks.
Or a little more if the belt needs any adjustment.

Back