free website stats program Rear turn signal problem. | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear turn signal problem.

CHAPPY46

I have a 2004 fxd that I installed the rear turn signal relocation kit because I was installing new saddlebags. I road the bike for a day and had no problems till I got home that night. The key symble on the speedo was on and I found out the rear right signal light was not working. I have the run-turn signal modual that allows the rear turn signals to be a run light as well. I checked the wires and found no sign of a break anywhere. I turned the ignition of then on again and the run light was not on. I checked the bulb by switching side and the bulb was fine. It worked with the 4 way flashers on and the the turn signal worked as well. but the run light on the right side would not. Rechecked all wiring and terminals and could not find anything. Can anybody HELP PLEASE!

Sounds like the module is bad. With the key on do you have running light voltage to the right side bulb socket? With test light still hooked up, have someone turn right side blinker on. You should get on/off voltage, this will tell you if your wire is ok. If you do have blinker/flasher voltage but no running light voltage, module is bad.

Try removing the module from the circuit and see if the light works OK then. It sounds like a bad module.

Try removing the module from the circuit and see if the light works OK then. It sounds like a bad module.

+1.

I run a module on my Super Glide. After the first couple months, mine went bad. I unplugged it and all worked fine. I explain this to the Harley dealer and miraculously, they replaced it at no charge. A week later, the second module went bad.

After a good sarching, I found a tiny nick in the wiring inside the barrel of the relocation kit mounting stalk and it was causing a short.

The Harley dealer told me the modules almost never go bad, that issues with them were normally a result of something else. First and only time they've ever told me the truth.

I had the same exact thing happen to me after installing the fixed backrest on my FXDC. The same symptoms that you mention occurred. It turned out being a short in the wires with the right turn signal. I'd double check for any small breaks or shorts.

Thanks alot guys! Would you not think if the modul was at fault both rear running lights would not work? Anyway, I will try unhocking modul and see what happens. Thanks again for the info!

Back