free website stats program rear turn signal problem | Harley Davidson Forums

rear turn signal problem

05FXST

Ok Ive scoured the net and found nothing. I have just installed auto gem turn signals (not LED) on the rear of my bike. The situation is that I have a new fender and have eliminated the switch board in the back so now everything is hardwired no plugs to deal with anymore. The grounds are grounded and the brown lead and purple lead are connected to the signals. These signals only came with two leads.(both black). The problem is is that when the signals come on they flash normally and then begin to flash quicker. Im just wondering what i did wrong. I have a 2005 Softail Standard.

It sounds like to me you've changed the resistance threshold & the flasher is acting like one bulb is out... If you've still got the old bulbs, take an ohm meter & compare the resistance of the old bulbs & the new ones. You may have to add a resistor in-line to increase the resistance to what your flasher will recognize.

If you have the HD manual, it give you the OEM bulbs used and wattage ... P (Watts) = I (Amps) x E (Volts) so you can determine how much current draw the newer bullbs have verses the old bulbs. As the flashing is increasing, it could be the AutoGems are as HB737 says drawing more current causing the flashing. Does the flash rate change when you hit the brakes (since you may have modified the brake lighting as well).

Harry B737's right on - check resistance. Had similar problem wiring a trailer harness into my truck many years ago.:small3d023:

Ok I have checked it out and the blinking did not change when i hit the brake. Note that i have an old school STOP light on my bike now and i have the running light hooked up to the bottom running/license plate light and the brake light hooked up to the STOP light on the top.

Back