free website stats program Rear turn signal bulbs | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear turn signal bulbs

Upgraded the the amber rear turn signals to the red lens with brake adapter.
Now the lights are brighter than my tail light. The 1157's are just too dang bright. Anyone know what bulb I can replace them with to get the lumens close to the tail light? Thnx

Had a friend that installed the same unit and I wouldn't ride behind him because it always looked like he was breaking when he wasn't.

Exactly, glider...fixin to put a coat of paint inside the lens tone it down if I cant find a solution. That or go to the LED bulbs but the resistors needed for that application look like a pain in the (remark not permitted) > laffs

Before you paint anything, talk to a good auto parts person with a bulb chart, NAPA, Auto Zone ect. you might also try changing the color of bulb to amber or red. If you have your heart set on paint... light coat on bulb instead of lens... JMHO

Do you have a dual element bulb in the turn signals? I thought they were single element, like a 1156 bulb.
Check the HD web site on the 69462-06C module, it says something about if using light bar such & such, then brake light won't meet DOT minimum.
wilks3
:USA

Last edited:
I like TripleJ's idea. I don't think that your lights can be bright enough, ya gotta watch out for that cage on your tail..JMO.

Do what Wilkes suggested. I think your bulbs should be single element (1156), relying on a signal from the brake/turn module to glow brighter. If you put #1157 dual element bulbs in, you have way too many elements lit up all at once.
Look at your socket, it should have 1 contact point, not 2 like a 1157 bulb uses.

Disregard if I have my bulb numbers backwards again. :D

Do what Wilkes suggested. I think your bulbs should be single element (1156), relying on a signal from the brake/turn module to glow brighter. If you put #1157 dual element bulbs in, you have way too many elements lit up all at once.
Look at your socket, it should have 1 contact point, not 2 like a 1157 bulb uses.

Disregard if I have my bulb numbers backwards again. :D

I agree with what Breeze posted but the 1157 bulb will not fit nor work in the 1156 socket. The pins on the base are staggered on one and even on the other so you couldn't get them to twist to lock into the socket.

You may be able to reference a smaller bulb here...

Automotive Light Bulbs and Light Bulb Sockets

Upgraded the the amber rear turn signals to the red lens with brake adapter.

You did not say who made the kit. I am using a HD kit and the light brightness is perfect. Running lights just glow. Like others have said, I bet your using the wrong bulb. The socket is keyed like Glider says, but I have seen people jam a 1157 bulb in a 1156 socket. I did it once myself.:)

Back