free website stats program Rear Tires Excessive Wear on 07 FXSTC | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Tires Excessive Wear on 07 FXSTC

Al I was just kidding around with you.I know you can't lay these big bikes down far enough to use the chicken strips up on the tires.I have had to replace my foot boards and mounts from trying.:s

Steve,
I knew you were.

It sure gives you a different sensation when you've reached the limit even after it happens several times.

Those crotch rockets have "skidders" sticking out about half way up the side of the bike!!

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Al,

Great pictures! Do you have any more? I'd like to see detail of your tread wear indicator.

Also, can you tell me what your minimum tread depth is and where you measured it?

I'm not satisfied with what my dealer has told me and I may be looking for another dealer/service department soon.

Thank You!

Cheers!

Is this OK?
I measured with my folding carpenter ruler, 1/8"

Al

Attachments

• Tread Guage (Medium).JPG
    Tread Guage (Medium).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1332 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1332 (Medium).JPG
    33 KB · Views: 24
Is this OK?
I measured with my folding carpenter ruler, 1/8"

Al

Wow! That's very interesting! Your tread "looks" more shallow than mine, but measures deeper.

I'll post pictures when I have a better connection.

Glider,

I may be making this harder than it needs to be.

Where do you measure tread depth?

At the wear indicator?

Or, at the deepest part of the worn tread?

Just sent same question to Dunlop, I'll let you know what they tell me.

Cheers!

A host of reasons. Less tread depth, softer compound, softer sidewalls - you actually have less traction with the wider tires - less lbs per sq inch - so there is more slippage & movement with the tire carcass itself.

Then there is the way the bike is driven.

Huh? Less lbs/sq inch because there are more sq inches contacting the road. More rubber on the road = more traction. :)

Huh? Less lbs/sq inch because there are more sq inches contacting the road. More rubber on the road = more traction. :)

That depends on the situation. When it comes to traction there are so many variables at work it is very difficult comprehend. When you put more rubber on the road (wider tires) on wet pavement you actually will have less traction........the lower pounds per square inch contacting the road will make it easier to hydroplane. On dry pavement I believe you are correct though.......more contact with the road would provde better overall traction.

It becomes a lb per sq inch thing. Wider tire with same air pressure as narrow tire will have less actual pressure pushing on the pavement as its spread out over a wider contact patch. That's one reason its much easier to spin wider street tires on a car/truck, or a mc.

If you want to increase the traction for either tire you have to let more air out, say 10 % or so will improve the grip as it softens the tire slightly and allows the tire to work better. If you ever take a bike with street tires to a riding course, you'll find that they will lower the air pressure front & back to give the tires some help in doing the turns etc.

It becomes a lb per sq inch thing. Wider tire with same air pressure as narrow tire will have less actual pressure pushing on the pavement as its spread out over a wider contact patch. That's one reason its much easier to spin wider street tires on a car/truck, or a mc.

If you want to increase the traction for either tire you have to let more air out, say 10 % or so will improve the grip as it softens the tire slightly and allows the tire to work better. If you ever take a bike with street tires to a riding course, you'll find that they will lower the air pressure front & back to give the tires some help in doing the turns etc.

Tires treads like the Earth are not flat:D
Like a ball in a ball bearing, contact is minimal.
Noticed in the the photos:bigsmiley23:

Your theory applies to "track machines", excavators, dozers etc.

Al

Back