free website stats program Rear Tires Excessive Wear on 07 FXSTC | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Tires Excessive Wear on 07 FXSTC

I was (EDIT)
down at the local dealer & we got to talking about tires. He did comment that some of the bikes with the wider rear tires where only getting 2500 miles before they had to be replaced.

It seems the wider tires 200 series will wear much quicker than the 150/160 series. When you look at the two side by side that makes sense.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
cycleman11,

Check this link to Dunlop Tire Fitment Guide.

Click the "More Info" link.

Both our bikes use the 200/55R17 size.

Now look at the "Full Tread Depth" column. You'll see the recommended tire has the least tread depth in the whole bunch. You and I are starting off with a new tire that only has a 1/4" tread depth.

My dealer says after 6500+ miles I have 1/32" of tread left and I should replace my tire NOW! When I measure it with my Genuine Harley Davidson Tire Pressure and Tread Depth Gauge,:laugh I get 3/32".

In your case or mine I think we may be getting short changed on tire wear!

I don't have as much to complain about as you do, however, I'll be changing my riding habits soon!

Cheers!

It seems the wider tires 200 series will wear much quicker than the 150/160 series. When you look at the two side by side that makes sense.

Why would that be. I could see that being the case with a cage tire that has a flat contact patch with the road. But from what I have seen, these tires have convex contact surfaces, so why the major difference in mileage numbers when you hit the 200 series.

A host of reasons. Less tread depth, softer compound, softer sidewalls - you actually have less traction with the wider tires - less lbs per sq inch - so there is more slippage & movement with the tire carcass itself.

Then there is the way the bike is driven.

I would check the whole bike alignment and not just the axle adjusters,1500 miles is way to low.You may have a bad shock bushing or a sprung rear section causing you rear to be cocked.something is not right.good luck

My rear tire wear bars indicated a change at 15,080 miles and that's when I changed it. That was Dec 2010, I now have 28,438 and it still has a good way to go.

The 200 is elliptical shaped not a tight radius, I can lean till my pegs fold and I have to lift my foot. It feels glued to the road.

Al

:USA
:CONNECTICUT

Tire photos, Dunlop 200 55 17
Let me correct the wording, the tire had 15,580 miles on it when I changed it in Dec 2010 @ 22,080 miles on the bike.
The original tire got punctured with a fence staple at 6,500 miles and was replaced.

The tire in the photos, new in Dec 2010, has 6,358 miles on it.
I hope that's clear.

I wanted to show where it rides on a fairly narrow edge when cornering because of it's elliptical profile.
Al

Attachments

• IMG_1326 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1326 (Medium).JPG
    55.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1327 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1327 (Medium).JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1329 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1329 (Medium).JPG
    69.8 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for the pics,but I noticed you haven't tested out the chicken strips yet!!!

Steve, This photo is where the peg pivots. The mount scrapes at this point after the peg gets flipped up, any tighter it may dig in or lift the bike.

It's my signal to stop pushing any farther.

Al

Attachments

• IMG_1331 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_1331 (Medium).JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 32
Tire photos, Dunlop 200 55 17
Let me correct the wording, the tire had 15,580 miles on it when I changed it in Dec 2010 @ 22,080 miles on the bike.
The original tire got punctured with a fence staple at 6,500 miles and was replaced.

The tire in the photos, new in Dec 2010, has 6,358 miles on it.
I hope that's clear.

I wanted to show where it rides on a fairly narrow edge when cornering because of it's elliptical profile.
Al

Al,

Great pictures! Do you have any more? I'd like to see detail of your tread wear indicator.

Also, can you tell me what your minimum tread depth is and where you measured it?

I'm not satisfied with what my dealer has told me and I may be looking for another dealer/service department soon.

Thank You!

Cheers!

Al,

Great pictures! Do you have any more? I'd like to see detail of your tread wear indicator.

Also, can you tell me what your minimum tread depth is and where you measured it?

I'm not satisfied with what my dealer has told me and I may be looking for another dealer/service department soon.

Thank You!

Cheers!

Maybe this will help in the mean time...

Harley Davidson Community

Back