free website stats program Rear Tires Excessive Wear on 07 FXSTC | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rear Tires Excessive Wear on 07 FXSTC

Here is my 2 cents.... Yes 1,500 miles is excessive, BUT if alignment is on and wear is at dead center a couple of things will contribute to this. Is this your first V-twin??? If there is excessive use of right grip when starting out from a stop??? Not implying that a burnout is being done, but a hard launch like drag racing? When down shifting, is down shift being used to rapidly slow bike to a stop??? Are you putting along and then hard acceleration being used to experience the torque sensation that makes Harley's great??? This causes tire to grow and become more narrow causing center wear. And last but not least I would guess that you may do a lot of short rides for there is no talk of any edge wear due to cornering. Usually most would receive closer to 3,000 miles on the rear with a bit more conservative riding. Your not doing anything wrong just having FUN and enjoying your bike!!!!!!!!!!! :s

Thrust angle of this bike must be way off to ruin a tire that quick has it ever been wrecked?

I had a new ME 880 Marathon Tire 200/55/R17 m/c 78V
Note that this tire is narrower than the last 4 tires, the other tires ( I think ) were 210 or 215, I don't know if this is going to help, it was suggested by the independent that installed it. I don't know what the speed rating is. Thank you!

ME 880 Marathon with a load rating of 937#'s. Isn't 200mm a bunch wider than stock? That requires at least a 5.50" width rim. Your factory rims can't be that wide, can they? Maybe the tire is "tear dropped" too much? I have no other idea how a tire can wear out that fast in just the center.

I am running a similar (ME 880)160mm tire in the rear. I am always hard on starts and it has 4K on it with plenty of rubber left.

(BTW, your speed rating is "V" which is 149)

ME 880 Marathon with a load rating of 937#'s. Isn't 200mm a bunch wider than stock? That requires at least a 5.50" width rim. Your factory rims can't be that wide, can they? Maybe the tire is "tear dropped" too much? I have no other idea how a tire can wear out that fast in just the center.

I am running a similar (ME 880)160mm tire in the rear. I am always hard on starts and it has 4K on it with plenty of rubber left.

(BTW, your speed rating is "V" which is 149)

The 2007 FXSTC came with a 200 rear tire.

I am miffed about your problem, something doesn't sound right here, not implying the problem is with you. My buddy and I have 08 FXSTC's, we keep tire pressures at the reccomended 36 solo 40 two up. I replaced both front and back tires at 13K, the back was more worn on the edges which is normal than the middle, the front could have gone further but what the heck. (Dunlops) He has 11K on the clock and may need replacement in the next 5K or so.
Anyway something is awry, I wonder if you are overinflating possibly or as others have mentioned a little heavy on the right hand. Check your tire gauge for accuracy, maybe try another shop to see if they can diagnose the problem. Good luck and post your results when the problem gets fixed.

Afterthought, check your shocks, you maybe rubbing, although I think you would feel it.

i have a 07 fxstc and am running the same tire mostly short trips to work 24 miles one way and i rip on my bike no problems with the tires got 5000 out of the first set and have about 1500 on this set with lots of tread left

Wow.....2k out of a rear tire seems awefull!! Personally I would have to give up riding if I had to replace my rear every 2k! I put 8K on mine last year and already have 3k on for this season.....yup 12K out of the original Michelin scorchers! I have 3/32 left on the front and rear and just put a deposit down on new rubber at an indy dealer. I'll be replacing my rubber and not quite be down to the wear indicators. However, I don't accelerate hard.....I enjoy the torque of my bike but keep it pretty modest. I ride with guys that average 4k out of their rear tires but they absolutely ride em like they stole em......but don't complain about replacing the rubber often......they think it is the price to pay for their enjoyment out of their bike. It is all good! I commute on mine and take long weekend rides with the wife so I ride modestly to keep the cost of rubber down. It is what it is......if you think you are riding hard and eating tires you may want to back off the throttle.......not saying anything negative if you do ride hard but if you do ride hard that is the cost I guess. ENJOY!

After reading all the suggestions if you tired everything and still have not got the problem corrected I would check to see if the bike had been in a crash. You may have a total frame problem. I hope I am wrong, because if we are talking a crashed frame getting the problem fixed may be impossible.

Back