free website stats program rear tire | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

rear tire

IMO I would have it changed. It's my understanding that the tire rotation direction really comes into play when the weather gets wet. Seems to me that I read having the tire in the wrong direction can effect the way it moves the water away from the tire.

100% correct. Grooves are cut to eject water to sides. Turn the tire around and the water gets channeled to the center of the tire! Unless you live in ElPaso Texas where it rains maybe 2 times a year, you must turn the tire around.

Hi my name is Tim , all my tires have been installed by a Harley dealer and if this was my situation, I would let them know the mistake thay made, this must be a dangerous mistake on their part. The rotational arrows are there for a reason, the tire is designed ,tread pattern to go the arrow direction.I would have them install a new one at no charge!!!there may be damage that is not noticable to the eye.This is all my opinion and if you really want to know,Get with the tire company directly and ask them. :newsmile036:Safty should have been ,there #1 concern!!!!

JMO ---- If you have 5k +/- miles on that back tire and havent had any problems , I would start thinking about just getting a new tire due to est. 7k is about "norm" on mileage for a tire. Like I said --- JMO nothing more.

After running 5K with tire going the wrong direction I would opt to change it not flip it JMO

About tread "direction" being important, I noticed the D407 Rear and D407 Front have the same tread pattern, but seem to be mounted with the tread reversed (Dunlop site). Can any members running the 407/408 combination verify this?
That sorta shoots holes in the water dispersion reason.

About tread "direction" being important, I noticed the D407 Rear and D407 Front have the same tread pattern, but seem to be mounted with the tread reversed (Dunlop site). Can any members running the 407/408 combination verify this?
That sorta shoots holes in the water dispersion reason.

It is pretty normal for the tread pattern to run in the opposite direction on front and rear tyres back in the mists of time i remember some tyres that could be fitted front or rear but the direction of rotation was swapped i always thought that the highest load on a rear tyre was in acceleration and the highest load on the front was during breaking and the tread patter was to give best grip during the high loading time however i could be wrong

Brian

i always thought that the highest load on a rear tyre was in acceleration and the highest load on the front was during breaking and the tread patter was to give best grip during the high loading time however i could be wrong

Brian

The acceleration & braking theory has been the one I've always preferred.
Of course there are other reasons, otherwise they wouldn't have tire Engineers, only tire Builders.

I just read the article by avon on the reason for directional arrows and it is on the loads applied to the tyre rotated in the correct direction helps keep the tyre together rotate in the wrong direction and the loads applied in the wrong direction could pull the tyre apart
For the op in this thread with that info replace the tyre as the tyre integrity could have been compromised by running in the wrong rotation for so long

Brian

Back